- Sports World Cup Warm-Up: Young Hashmatullah stars as Afghanistan stun Pakistan in a thriller
- News Delhi weather: Dry weather likely in capital, Heat to ramp up next week
- Automobiles Mercedes Developing Heated Seat Belts — Hopes To Motivate People To Use Them
- Movies Prabhas Starrer Saaho's Rumours Have Been Busted; Are The Fans Disappointed?
- Finance Ashok Leyland's Q4 Profit Declines 12%; Board Declares Dividend
- Technology Oppo K3 vs other mid-range smartphones with 6GB RAM
- Education HSCAP Allotment Result 2019 Kerala Released
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
It's the season of wood apple, popularly known as the Bael fruit. Many people are still not too familiar with this fruit but wood apple is a native of the Indian sub-continent having plenty of health benefits and medicinal properties.
You might have heard the very popular saying that 'One apple a day keeps the doctor away', so this holds true even for wood apple. It is rich in nutrients and a great source of fibre, vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, protein, iron and beta-carotene. Due to these reasons wood apple or bael fruit is a must have fruit.
In addition to this, wood apple is also known for its anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. All these properties help in preventing and curing several health problems. Wood apple has a hard shell and is pulpy and brownish in colour inside. It is consumed in the form of a whole fruit, juices, added to ice-creams and a few people even preserve it as a jam.
Apart from the several health benefits that come with it, wood apple is also considered auspicious and is widely used during 'pujas' as well.
Listed below are the reasons why you should eat wood apple or bael fruit. Have a look.
1. Aids In Digestion:
Rich in fibre and a lot of other nutrients, wood apple helps better digestion.
2. Prevents Constipation:
The laxative property of wood apple helps in treating constipation. Take wood apple pulp, mix it with a bit of salt and black pepper and then have it for best results.
3. Boosts Immunity:
Wood apple is rich in vitamin C and acts as an antioxidant. This helps in enhancing the immunity level and thereby protects the body against several diseases.
4. Excellent Source Of Energy:
Due to its rich nutrient contents wood apple serves as an excellent source of energy. Have wood apple pulp mixed along with a bit of jaggery; it helps in preventing fatigue and provides energy.
5. Helps Treat Peptic Ulcer & Piles:
Wood apple contains important ingredients called tannin and phenolic compounds that are known for rich anti-oxidant properties. These help in reducing inflammation and thus help treat peptic ulcer and piles.
6. Helps Cure Liver Problems:
Wood apple contains thiamine and riboflavin and is also an excellent source of beta-carotene. These ingredients help in curing liver problems quickly.
7. Helps Treat Respiratory Problems:
The expectorant properties of wood apple help in providing relief from respiratory problems like sore throat, asthma and also bronchitis.
8. Helps Treat Kidney Problems:
Rich in thiamine and riboflavin, wood apple helps in detoxifying the body. Hence, consumption of wood apple is good for people having kidney problems.
9. Helps Cure Diabetes:
Wood apple contains a large amount of laxatives and helps in the production of insulin. This in turn helps in curing diabetes.
10. Helps Cure High Blood Pressure:
It is not just the fruit, even the wood apple leaves have been found to treat blood pressure problem. Take a few leaves of wood apple, boil them along with water and then steep it for a few minutes and then drink it. It helps cure high blood pressure.
Caution: For those having gastric problem, they should be watchful and avoid eating excess of wood apple. Also, those who are allergic to this fruit need to avoid it.