- 3 min ago World Tourism Day 2022: Date, Theme, Benefits, History, And Significance
- 1 hr ago Rashmika Mandanna Is Grace Personified In A Saree, Check Out Latest Pictures!
- 7 hrs ago Retrograde Saturn Transit In Capricorn On 12 July 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- 7 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 29 June 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- News International news brief: Zelensky says Putin has become 'a terrorist', 51 migrants die
- Education NEET 2022: Exam City Intimation Slip Released By NTA At neet.nta.nic.in, Admit Card To Release Soon
- Technology OnePlus 10R 5G Gets Price Cut Of Rs. 4,000 For Limited Period; Where To Buy?
- Sports Deepak Hooda & Sanju Samson: From U19 cricket to record partnership at Malahide against Ireland
- Finance 2 Latest Dividend Announcements That You Should Take Note Of
- Movies Aditya Roy Kapur Reacts To Sadak 2 Failure, Says It Did Not Deter Him
- Automobiles Ather Energy May Soon Launch The Long-Range Version Of 450X Electric Scooter
- Travel Savandurga Hill In Monsoon - Hiking and Climbing
Geographic tongue is an inflammatory condition in which your tongue's surface becomes inflamed. Tongues are normally covered with tiny, pinkish-white bumps (papillae) and short, thin, hair-like projections. However, geographic tongue is characterized by patches on the tongue's surface that lack papillae and appear smooth, red 'islands,' often with slightly raised borders .
What Causes Geographic Tongue?
The cause of geographic tongue is unknown, and there is no way to prevent it. There may be a connection between geographic tongue and psoriasis and geographic tongue and lichen planus. However, more research is needed to determine whether these two conditions are connected .
What Are The Symptoms Of Geographic Tongue?
Even though many people do not experience any symptoms, the most recognizable characteristic of geographic tongue is the appearance of the pattern on the tongue. These uneven red patches are the most obvious symptoms of geographic tongue. Usually, they are located on your tongue, but they may also appear on your gums, on your cheeks, on the roof of your mouth, or beneath your tongue .
The patches may have the following characteristics:
- Light or white borders
- Vary in size, shape, and colour
- Begin in one area and then move to another
- Not have the small bumps (papillae) that normally cover the tongue
One in ten individuals with geographic tongue suffers from mild discomfort, burning, or pain. Foods that are hot, spicy, or acidic, cigarette smoke, and toothpaste are often responsible for this.
What Are The Risk Factors for Geographic Tongue?
Research on factors that may increase one's risk of geographic tongue has yielded mixed results. However, some of the factors that are likely to be associated with an increased risk include the following :
- Genetics: There is a possibility that inherited genes may increase the risk of geographic tongue in some people.
- Fissured tongue: Many individuals with geographic tongue also suffer from a fissured tongue, which is characterized by deep grooves (fissures) on the surface of the tongue.
What Are The Complications Of Geographic Tongue?
Geographic tongue is considered a benign condition. Your health is not at risk, nor does it cause long-term complications or increase your risk of major health problems.
It is, however, common to feel anxious about the condition for the following reasons :
- You may find the appearance of the tongue embarrassing, depending on how visible the lesions are
- You may find it difficult to be reassured there is nothing seriously wrong
How Is Geographic Tongue Diagnosed?
A physician or dentist usually will be able to diagnose geographic tongue based on an examination of your tongue and your signs and symptoms.
This examination might include the following :
- Examining your tongue with a lighted instrument
- Moving your tongue in different directions
- Check your tongue for tenderness or unusual changes to its texture or consistency by gently touching it
- Look for signs of infection, such as fever or swollen lymph nodes in the neck
How Is Geographic Tongue Treated?
Typically, geographic tongue does not require any medical intervention. Geographic tongue can occasionally cause discomfort to the tongue; however, it is otherwise a harmless condition .
To manage discomfort or sensitivity, your doctor may prescribe medications such as:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Mouth rinses with anaesthetic
- Zinc supplements
- Vitamin B supplementation, in some cases
Since these treatments have not been studied rigorously, their effectiveness is unknown. Furthermore, because the condition resolves independently and has an unpredictable course, it may not be possible to determine whether the symptomatic treatment is effective.
Can Geographic Tongue Be Prevented?
By avoiding or limiting substances that irritate sensitive oral tissues, such as spicy or acidic foods and beverages and alcohol and tobacco, you can reduce the discomfort associated with geographic tongue.
Geographic Tongue and COVID-19
Research on COVID tongue is at present limited. However, it is known that viral infections can sometimes cause a condition known as geographic tongue.
You may experience smooth red patches on your tongue with white borders, which may last for months or even years. Generally, geographic tongue does not cause pain or any other health concerns; however, flare-ups can make it difficult to consume spicy foods .
Currently, it is unclear whether COVID tongue is related to geographic tongue or whether COVID-19 can cause geographic tongue. However, with more people recovering from COVID-19 and as more data becomes available, doctors will better understand COVID tongue and any possible long-term effects.
Please consult your physician if you have COVID-19 and are experiencing any mouth or tongue health issues.
- wellness'Heal In India': An Indian Govt Initiative To Attract More Foreign Patients
- wellnessCovid Patients At Higher Risk Of Serious Neurodegenerative Disorders: Study
- wellnessMaharashtra: Thane Records 978 New Covid-19 Cases; Active Tally At 5,634
- wellnessIndia Emerged Successfully In The Management Of Covid-19 Pandemic: Mansukh Mandaviya
- wellnessIndia Records 15,940 Covid-19 Infections, 20 Fatalities In A Day
- kidsLong COVID In Children Can Last At Least Two Months: Study
- wellnessGenome Sequencing Tests Show Omicron Dominating In Karnataka: Health Minister
- wellnessHow Does COVID Spread During Short Conversations?
- wellnessSurge In Covid Cases: States Asked To Submit 'Larger Number' Of Samples For Genome Sequencing
- wellnessLong Covid-19 Risk Less With Omicron Than Delta Variant, UK Study Finds
- wellnessCOVID-19: India Records 13,216 Fresh Cases
- wellnessAuthorities Step Up Measures To Deal With Spike In Covid-19 Cases In Delhi