- 3 hrs ago Easy Breakfast Recipe: How To Make Oats Upma
- 6 hrs ago Amazon Republic Day Sale Is Here! Up To 70% Off On Handbags, Backpacks, Clutches & More
- 8 hrs ago Dr Angelique Coetzee: Don’t Look At Your Positivity Rate, Look At How Many People Admitted In ICU
- 8 hrs ago Saturn Combust In Capricorn On 18 January 2021: Effects On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- Automobiles Toyota Hilux Official Teaser Out Now: Launch On Jan 20
- News ED raids an attempt to put pressure on me ahead of polls in Punjab: CM Channi
- Sports KL Rahul cues: Skipper will open, Dhawan likely to be preferred over Ruturaj, Ashwin-Chahal to play
- Finance Which Is Better for Home Loan Protection: Term Insurance or Home Loan Insurance?
- Movies BB15: Shamita Says She Wants To Get Married This Year, Nishant Advises Her Not To Rush Into Things With Raqesh
- Education JPSC Admit Card 2021 For Combined Civil Services Mains Exam Released At jpsc.gov.in
- Technology Samsung Galaxy A53 5G Might Not Support Fast-Charging; 3C Certification Website Reveals
- Travel Amazing Places To Visit In Karnataka In Winter Of 2022
Researchers at the IHU Mediterranee Infection Institute discovered the B.1.640.2 variant, which is known as IHU. It is believed to contain 46 mutations - even more, than Omicron - making it resistant to vaccines and more infectious.
New COVID Variant 'IHU': Everything You Need To Know
At least 12 cases of the new variant have been reported near Marseilles, and it has been linked to travel to the African country Cameroon. US epidemiologist and health economist Eric Feigl-Ding is one of a growing number of experts outside of France to raise the alarm over the new variant .
According to him, new variants are continually being detected, but that does not necessarily mean that they will be more dangerous.
"There are scores of new variants discovered all the time, but it does not necessarily mean they will be more dangerous. What makes a variant more well-known and dangerous is its ability to multiply because of the number of mutations it has in relation to the original virus," Epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding posted on Twitter.
- There has not been any reporting of this new variant in countries other than France. It has not been classified as a variant under investigation by the World Health Organization (WHO) .
- According to a paper posted on medRxiv, the strain carries the E484K mutation, which may make it more resistant to vaccines .
- Additionally, it carries the N501Y mutation, first identified in the Alpha variant, which experts believe may contribute to its transmission potential .
- The scientists state that these findings demonstrate the unpredictable nature of the emergence of new SARS-CoV-2 variants and their spread from abroad.
- Furthermore, they demonstrate how difficult it is to control such introductions and subsequent spreads.
"Fourteen amino acid substitutions, including N501Y and E484K, and nine deletions are located in the spike protein. This genotype pattern led to creating a new Pangolin lineage named B.1.640.2, which is a phylogenetic sister group to the old B.1.640 lineage renamed B.1.640.1," the research paper said .
- healthDr Angelique Coetzee: Don’t Look At Your Positivity Rate, Look At How Many People Admitted In ICU
- healthCOVID-19: Why T Cell Vaccines Could Be The Key To Long-Term Immunity
- kidsChildren Exercised Less During COVID Lockdown – 4 Tips To get Them Moving Again
- healthOmicron: Is Anti-Malaria Drug Hydroxychloroquine Really Effective Against The COVID Variant?
- wellnessCOVID Vaccine 4th Dose Shows Limited Results With Omicron, Says Study In Israel
- healthPhytochemicals Discovered In Himalayan Plant Buransh That Inhibit COVID-19 Virus
- healthOmicron Viral Load At Its Highest On Day 5? A Scientific Understanding Of The Isolation Period
- healthIndia Records 2,58,089 New Covid Infections Including 8,209 Omicron Cases, 385 Deaths
- healthDelta Still Dominant Strain Of COVID-19, Says Maharashtra Health Official Amid Omicron Scare
- womenMithali Raj And Indian Women's Cricket Team To Quarantine In Mumbai Ahead Of Women's World Cup 2022 Departure
- wellnessDeadly Delta Wave Stole 2,40,000 Lives In India, 'Similar Episodes' Could Take Place Soon: UN Report
- healthMedia Reports Claiming Under-Reporting Of COVID Deaths Ill-Informed, Baseless & Misleading: Govt