- 12 min ago Signs Of A Toxic Work Environment; How To Deal With It?
- 44 min ago Chandi Homa: Know Why It Is Done, The Benefits, Best Muhurta, Eligibility, And Homa Venue
- 1 hr ago Empowering Women In Transport Sector: India Gets Its First All Women Bus Depot In Delhi
- 3 hrs ago What Are Smart Beds? Can It Improve Your Sleep? Price And Other Details
- News Boycott culture vitiates atmosphere: Union Minister Anurag Thakur
- Sports Hockey World Cup 2023: Defending champions Belgium to face Germany in final
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Netizens Unhappy With Nimrit Kaur Ahluwalia's 'Dhoyegi Sare Bartan' Remark For Priyanka
- Finance Penny Stock Under Rs 35 To Consider Stock Split, Shares Soar Over 2100% In 5 Years
- Technology Poco X5 Pro 5G Global Variant Listing Indicates A Rebranded Redmi Note 12 Series Smartphone
- Travel Tata, Infosys Showing Interest In Monument Mitra Scheme, Know What It Is
- Automobiles 2023 BMW X1 & iX1 India Launch Tomorrow – Here’s Everything You Should Know
- Education Professional Students' Summit-2023 to be held in Kerala
Video games can be highly engrossing and if you are addicted to them, then you could be suffering from a mental health condition. In 2018, the WHO officially acknowledged gaming disorder as a mental health condition and added the disorder to the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11). ICD-11 is used by medical professionals to diagnose conditions and by researchers to categorize the conditions.
According to ICD-11, people who are addicted to games have difficulty in controlling the amount of time they spend playing digital or video games. They also prioritize gaming over other interests or activities.
According to the American Journal of Psychiatry, an estimate of 160 million American adults play video games aged below 18 to above 50  . As per a KPMG report, 250 million Indians were hooked on to online games in 2018.
In this article, we'll discuss what is gaming disorder, its signs and symptoms and how it can be treated.
What Is Gaming Disorder? 
Gaming disorder is a serious disorder, which causes addiction to such an extent that gamers spend many hours playing video or online games and this makes them have a strong emotional attachment to this behaviour. This results in fewer social connections and has a negative effect on education, relationships, family, and work  .
Symptoms Of Gaming Disorder 
According to the WHO, a person with gaming disorder will show the following symptoms for 12 months. The symptoms are as follows:
- Lack of control over gaming habits
- Not showing interest in other activities
- Playing games despite having a negative impact on your life
- Mood disorders like stress, anxiety and depression
Feeling bad when you can't play
- Not being able to quit playing games
Diagnosis Of Gaming Disorder
Medical professionals use questionnaires and ask questions to help determine whether the person has gaming disorder or not.
Treatment Of Gaming Disorder 
- Family help - If gaming disorder is worsening the individual's behaviour and negatively affecting his relationships with family members, the family members should intervene and seek help.
- Psychoeducation - This type of treatment involves educating the person about the harmful effects of gaming disorder and how it affects mental health.
- A change in lifestyle - A person addicted to video games should change his/her lifestyle pattern and explore his/her skills and abilities.
- Intrapersonal - This treatment option helps in building self-esteem, exploring identity and increasing emotional intelligence.
- Interpersonal - This type of treatment allows an individual to learn how to interact with others by working on their communication skills.
How To Prevent Gaming Disorder
- Maintain rules about screen time and stick to them
- Communicate with your near and dear ones
- Keep your phone and gadgets out of your bedroom so that you don't play at night
- Exercise regularly
-  Przybylski, A. K., Weinstein, N., & Murayama, K. (2016). Internet gaming disorder: Investigating the clinical relevance of a new phenomenon.American Journal of Psychiatry,174(3), 230-236.
-  González-Bueso, V., Santamaría, J. J., Fernández, D., Merino, L., Montero, E., Jiménez-Murcia, S., … Ribas, J. (2018). Internet Gaming Disorder in Adolescents: Personality, Psychopathology and Evaluation of a Psychological Intervention Combined With Parent Psychoeducation.Frontiers in psychology,9, 787.
-  Stockdale, L., & Coyne, S. M. (2018). Video game addiction in emerging adulthood: Cross-sectional evidence of pathology in video game addicts as compared to matched healthy controls.Journal of affective disorders,225, 265-272.
-  Kaptsis, D., King, D. L., Delfabbro, P. H., & Gradisar, M. (2016). Withdrawal symptoms in Internet gaming disorder: A systematic review.Clinical Psychology Review,43, 58-66.
-  Torres-Rodríguez, A., Griffiths, M. D., & Carbonell, X. (2018). The treatment of Internet gaming disorder: A brief overview of the PIPATIC program.International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction,16(4), 1000-1015.
- disorders cureWhat Is ‘Gaming Addiction’? What Are Its Symptoms & Treatment?
- kidsRhinovirus And Enterovirus-D68 In Kids: What You Should Know About The CDC Warning
- disorders cureJustin Bieber Diagnosed With Ramsay Hunt Syndrome: Know More About The Disease
- disorders cureWhat Is Autocannibalism: The Practice Of Eating Oneself (Biting Nails, Eating Boogers) And Its Causes
- wellnessHow To Manage The 5 Common Lifestyle Disorders: An Expert's Opinion
- disorders cure12 Effective Natural Remedies To Treat Dry Eyes
- disorders cureWhat Causes Eyelid Twitches (Myokymia) And How To Treat It
- disorders cureAvoidant Personality Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- wellnessStool Transplant Effective For Treating Intestinal Disorders, Claims Study
- disorders cureSocial Anxiety Disorder: Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Complications, Diagnosis And Treatment
- wellnessAre You Having Relationship Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Know Its Types, Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureGuide To Preparing Your Child With ADHD For School