- 2 hrs ago Omicron: German Capital Berlin Turns Into COVID Hotspot
- 3 hrs ago Expert Opinion: Maharashtra's New Guidelines For Sensitive Handling Of Crimes Against Women & Children
- 10 hrs ago Greek Artist Alekos Fassianos Passes Away: Tribute
- 11 hrs ago What Is A Mucus Plug? What Does Losing Your Mucus Plug Mean During Pregnancy?
- Movies International Film Festival Of Kerala IFFK 2022 Postponed Due To COVID Surge
- Technology Amazon Great Republic Day Sale: Top Discount Offers On Intel Core i7 Laptops
- Sports Ben Stokes opts out of IPL 2022 auctions to stay fresh for English home summer: Reports
- Finance First IPO Of 2022 To Open On January 19, 2022: Know Key Points
- News I can beat up Modi: Congress leader's video kicks up controversy
- Education CBSE Science Challenge 2021-22 Announced For Students Of Class 8 To Class 10. Check Details Here
- Automobiles Citroen C3 Debuts In ‘Messi’ Land: India Launch Soon
- Travel Amazing Places To Visit In West Bengal In Winter Of 2022
It has been reported that a strain of COVID-19 containing both delta and omicron has been found in Cyprus, according to Leondios Kostrikis, professor of biological sciences at the University of Cyprus and head of the Laboratory of Biotechnology and Molecular Virology.
"There are currently omicron and delta co-infections, and we found this strain that is a combination of these two," Kostrikis said in an interview with Sigma TV Friday. The discovery was named 'deltacron' due to the identification of omicron-like genetic signatures within the delta genomes, he said .
A UK-based virologist has, however, called it a 'lab contamination' and not a new strain. According to Dr Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London, the Cypriot Deltacron sequences that multiple large media outlets have reported appear to be entirely 'contaminated' .
"When new variants come through sequencing, lab contamination isn't that uncommon (very tiny volumes of liquid can cause this) - just usually these fairly clearly contaminated sequences are not reported by major media outlets," Peacock said in a Twitter thread on Sunday .
So, what is Deltacron really?
Deltacron: Everything You Need To Know
Omicron Has Likely Not Circulated For Long Enough
- According to the UK virologist, Omicron has not circulated in a large enough population long enough to produce a recombinant strain.
- In other words, viral recombination occurs when viruses from two different parental strains infect the same host cell and interact during replication to produce virus progeny that contains aspects of both parents .
- True recombinants do not usually appear for several weeks or months following extensive cocirculation.
- "We're only a couple of weeks into Omicron - I really doubt there are any prevalent recombinants yet," he said .
More Information On 'Deltacron'
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has not yet commented on this development.
- Additionally, the genetic details of Deltacron published in the GISAID database do not resemble that of a recombinant .
- Leondios Kostrikis stated earlier that his team detected a new variant of Deltacron in 25 people.
- Cypriot health minister Michalis Hadjipandelas was quoted as saying that the new variant was not something to worry about at the present time.
- According to the Cyprus Mail, there is a possibility that the new strain of Coronavirus has not been detected elsewhere, and the sequences of the cases have been sent to GISAID, an open-access database that tracks Coronavirus developments.
- Molecular biologist Eric Topol of the Scripps Research Translational Institute tweeted: "Deltacron is a 'scariant'. One less thing to worry about" .
"We will see in the future if this strain is more pathological or more contagious or if it will prevail" over delta and omicron, Leondios Kostrikis said. However, according to him, this strain will also be replaced by the highly contagious strain of Omicron.
- healthPhytochemicals Discovered In Himalayan Plant Buransh That Inhibit COVID-19 Virus
- healthOmicron Viral Load At Its Highest On Day 5? A Scientific Understanding Of The Isolation Period
- healthIndia Records 2,58,089 New Covid Infections Including 8,209 Omicron Cases, 385 Deaths
- healthDelta Still Dominant Strain Of COVID-19, Says Maharashtra Health Official Amid Omicron Scare
- womenMithali Raj And Indian Women's Cricket Team To Quarantine In Mumbai Ahead Of Women's World Cup 2022 Departure
- wellnessDeadly Delta Wave Stole 2,40,000 Lives In India, 'Similar Episodes' Could Take Place Soon: UN Report
- healthMedia Reports Claiming Under-Reporting Of COVID Deaths Ill-Informed, Baseless & Misleading: Govt
- healthAstrazeneca Vaccine As Third Dose Effective Against Omicron: Study
- healthIndia Reports 2,47,417 New Coronavirus Cases, Highest Since May 2021
- kidsRajasthan Govt Defers Class 12 Practical Exams Due To Spike In COVID Cases
- wellnessCoronavirus Loses 90% Ability To Infect After Being Exposed To Air In Just 20 Minutes: Study
- wellnessPaxlovid: South Korea Gets First Supply Of Pfizer's COVID-19 Pills; Read Details