- 37 min ago South Africa In A New Surge Of Covid-19 From Versions Of Omicron
- 47 min ago FDCI X Lakmé Fashion Week Returns To Mumbai, To Be Held In October 2022
- 1 hr ago Antibiotics Can Lead To Life-Threatening Fungal Infection Because Of Disruption To The Gut Microbiome
- 3 hrs ago How To Check Your Gas Cylinder Level With A Wet Cloth Trick
- Technology Samsung Galaxy Fold4 To Use Best-In-Class 3x Zoom Camera
- Education WBJEE Result 2022 Update: WBJEE 2022 Results To Be Out Soon On wbjeeb.nic.in; Tie-Breaking Policy Likely
- Finance SBI Loans Get Costlier: Check Latest Interest Rates Here
- Automobiles Top 5 Electric Cars With Highest Range
- News PM Modi lays foundation stone of Nepal's Centre for Buddhist culture & heritage
- Sports IPL 2022: 'Delhi Capitals considering match against Punjab Kings as a knockout game', says Kuldeep Yadav
- Movies Don Day 3 Box Office Collection Worldwide: Sivakarthikeyan's Film Keeps The Cash Registers Ringing
- Travel Fun-filled Family Weekend Getaways Near Delhi
Blood pressure is the force of the blood against the blood vessels. The normal blood pressure for an adult is 120/80 mmHg, and any deviation from this is considered unhealthy. A decrease in blood pressure is called hypotension, whereas an increase is called hypertension .
Basically, high blood pressure occurs when your blood pressure increases to unhealthy levels and is a common health issue . Hypertension usually develops over several years and may not show any symptoms. However, even in the absence of symptoms, the condition can cause damage to your blood vessels and organs, especially the brain, heart, eyes, and kidneys .
High blood pressure is sometimes called the silent killer because there are no symptoms due to which it can go unnoticed for years. But a proper diet consisting of potassium, fibre, magnesium and low in sodium can help control high blood pressure .
Even though high blood pressure can be treated with medication, it is also essential to change your dietary and lifestyle habits. Here, we provide to you with some of the best and healthy foods that help lower blood pressure quickly and naturally. Take a look.
Mangoes are rich in fibre and beta-carotene, both of which have been deemed to be effective in lowering blood pressure . Studies have pointed out that adding beta-carotene-rich foods to your diet may be an effective way to lower blood pressure safely .
Apricots are fruits that can help in reducing your blood pressure and lower the risk of chronic disease. This fruit is rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene, which are keys to healthier blood pressure levels .
Those who are struggling with blood pressure can include apples in their diet. Quercetin, a compound found in apple, is effective in safely lowering blood pressure . The antioxidants present in apples can help prevent any future complications related to BP levels as well .
Grapefruit is a good source of lycopene and vitamin C, which are excellent in lowering blood pressure . Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds that may help keep your heart healthy by reducing heart disease risk, eating grapefruit daily can help reduce high blood pressure.
These colourful, small fruits will satisfy your sweet tooth as well as lower your blood pressure. Blueberries are loaded with resveratrol, are low-glycaemic, and high in fibre which is found to be effective in reducing blood pressure .
Watermelon contains an amino acid called citrulline, which may help manage high blood pressure . The amino acid helps by relaxing the blood vessels and improving flexibility in the arteries, thereby lowering high blood pressure.
Resveratrol, a pigment found in strawberries, is effective in preventing hypertension and keeps your blood pressure in check . These sweet berries are a great addition to your diet when you are suffering from high blood pressure.
8. Bell Pepper
Eating bell peppers daily takes you one step closer to a healthier you than yesterday. Controlled and regular consumption can also help in lowering blood pressure . They are a great source of vitamin C, which has been shown to improve cardiac function and lower blood pressure in patients.
The sweet, colourful vegetable is not just versatile but also healthy. The fibre and potassium in carrots may help manage blood pressure . Also, carrots are packed with beta-carotene and vitamin C that can help keep your blood pressure levels down.
Tomatoes have plenty of vitamin C and quercetin. They are also a great source of lycopene, which helps reduce blood pressure . Lycopene has been proven to be beneficial for lowering your cholesterol and decreasing your blood pressure.
A favourite of many and despised by many (for the after smell and the way it can make one cry), onions are a great source of quercetin which is effective in lowering blood pressure .
12. Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes help in lowering blood pressure because it is a good source of hypertension-fighting resistant starch, vitamin C and beta-carotene . Also, sweet potatoes are a great source of potassium, which naturally helps lower blood pressure by reducing the effects of sodium and tension in the blood vessels.
Beetroots are high in nitric oxide, which can help in opening the blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. You can steam it, boil it, stir fry it or even eat it raw. Studies point out that drinking one glass of beetroot juice daily is enough to significantly reduce blood pressure in people with hypertension .
Spinach is an easy and versatile green leafy veggie to cook. This leafy vegetable is a triple threat when it comes to your blood pressure, thanks to its healthy helpings of beta-carotene, fibre and vitamin C .
Similar to spinach, kale is an ideal leafy addition you can make to your high blood pressure diet. Rich in heart-friendly nutrients and antioxidants such as lutein, omega-3 fatty acids and flavonoids, this green leafy vegetable is a powerhouse of health benefits .
16. Flax Seed
One of the healthiest seeds out there, regular consumption of flax seeds can be linked to many benefits such as healthy weight loss, energy boosting and so on. Reducing high blood pressure levels can also be added to the list because flax seeds are a great source of fibre, and omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation, keep the heart healthy and improve the circulatory system .
17. Dark Chocolate
Don't deprive yourself of these sweet treats that can help you lower the blood pressure! Dark chocolates are high in flavonoid content that helps in lowering blood pressure. Studies have found that dark chocolate, the kind that contains at least 50 to 70 per cent cocoa can help reduce blood pressure levels, especially in people with hypertension .
Egg, especially egg whites, are good for high blood pressure . The protein-packed eggs can help improve both your cholesterol and blood pressure levels. Include eggs for breakfast to lower blood pressure naturally.
Fatty fishes, like salmon, are an excellent source of omega-3 fats, which studies show to help lower blood pressure levels . The heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids can lower your risk of heart disease and reduce inflammation as well.
The potential of garlic is not limited to adding flavour to your food; it is a vital ingredient that can control your blood pressure level. Consumption of garlic increases the level of nitric oxide in our body, which in turn widens the arteries and reduces blood pressure on the walls . You can consume garlic raw or add it to your leafy green salad along with thyme or basil to enhance its potential even more.
Some of the other foods that can help lower blood pressure naturally are as follows:
- Low-fat dairy products
- Beans and lentils
- Greek yoghurt
- Herbs and spices such as cilantro, saffron, lemongrass, black cumin, ginseng, cinnamon, cardamom, sweet basil, and ginger 
- Other citrus fruits like orange and lemon
- Pumpkin seeds
On A Final Note…
Hypertension treatment includes both medication and healthy lifestyle change. If not treated, the condition could lead to health issues, including heart attack and stroke. If you have high blood pressure levels or are looking to maintain healthy blood pressure, add the above-listed foods to your diet after discussing what is right for you, with your doctor.
- wellnessExtended Prescription For Chronic Diseases Helped India Cope Better During COVID, Say Health Expert
- wellnessDaily Paracetamol Use Increases Blood Pressure And Heart Attack Risk: Study
- wellnessIs High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Affecting Your Body? 15 Negative Effects Of High BP & Ways To Manage It
- wellnessFlavonoid-rich Foods Could Lower Your Blood Pressure, Study
- wellnessHypertension In India On The Rise: Causes, Symptoms And Ways To Manage The Condition
- disorders cureIs Blood Pressure And Diabetes Related?
- wellness11 Evidence-Based Health Benefits Of Arjuna
- wellness10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Asafoetida (Hing)
- wellnessHow To Choose Home Blood Pressure Monitor
- wellnessHow To Check Blood Pressure At Home And Types Of Blood Pressure Machines
- wellness13 Ways To Lower High Blood Pressure Naturally
- disorders cureMetabolic Syndrome: Its 5 Risk Factors, Causes, Treatment And Prevention