- Movies Sanjana Sanghi On Her Om Co-Star Aditya Roy Kapur: We Hit It Off From The Word 'Go'
- News PM Modi in UAE today to offer his condolences on Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed's demise
- Automobiles Here’s How You Can Fix Car Glass Scratches
- Finance This Factor Compelled EV Automakers To Hike Prices
- Sports 6IXTY 2022: Chris Gayle is brand ambassador, Universe Boss to play for trophy named after him
- Technology Amazon OnePlus Nord 2T 5G Quiz: Answers, Prizes And More
- Education BSSC 1st Inter Level CCE 2014 Final Result Released, Steps To Check To Bihar 1st Inter Level CC Exam Result
- Travel Peb Fort Trek, Maharashtra - Complete Guide
Mask compliance continues to remain at its lowest in India despite concerns over detection of Omicron variant in the country, with only 2 per cent of surveyed citizens saying that people in their area, city or district are complying well with mask-wearing norms. According to a latest survey conducted by digital community based platform LocalCircles, one in three Indians say most people in their area are not even carrying masks when stepping out of their houses.
The survey, conducted in April, received more than 25,000 responses from citizens residing in 364 districts of India.
It also said that 29 per cent of citizens rated mask compliance as high. This percentage dropped to 12 per cent in September and dropped drastically to only 2 per cent in November.
The need of the hour is to educate the public on the effectiveness of masks as two in three Indians are still wearing cloth masks that provide limited protection from COVID-19.
"It is critical that the central government, state governments and district administrations introduce all possible mechanisms to create awareness about mask compliance in light of the Omicron variant and enforce necessary penalties to drive this compliance," Sachin Taparia, founder, LocalCircles said.
If two individuals in an indoor space are not wearing a mask, in just 10 minutes, the infected person can transmit the virus to the other person, while if both are wearing a fitted N-95 mask, it requires over 600 hours of exposure for transmission, he said.
The Omicron variant, which has scientists and epidemiologists from around the world raising red flags, was categorised as a "variant of concern" by the World Health Organisation earlier this week after it was identified in three countries.
Within a week, Omicron has been detected in over 40 countries around the world, with India reporting its first two cases in Karnataka.
- wellnessEyes Getting Dry After Wearing Masks? Here’s What You Need To Know About Mask-Associated Dry Eye Syndrome
- wellnessHow To Safely Reuse N95 Masks: Expert Explains
- skin careTurmeric And Garlic Homemade Face Masks For Fighting Acne: Which One Would You Choose?
- fashion trendsAmazon Great Freedom Festival Sale 2021: Ethnic Wear, Books And Anti-COVID Masks For Your Daily Needs
- oral careMask Mouth: How Face Masks Are Affecting Oral Health And How You Can Prevent It
- wellnessCOVID-19: Why You Should Wear A Mask At Home Too; Especially If You Have Older Adults At Home
- healthCOVID-19 In India: Hospital Urges Government To Make Masks Mandatory To Fight Second Wave
- make up tipsHow To Prevent Your Makeup From Melting Under Face Masks
- bollywood wardrobePriyanka Chopra, Karishma Tanna, Radhika Apte, And Lisa Ray Inspire Us With Their Eye-Catching Masks
- healthCOVID-19: Why Indian Govt. Is Advising Against The Use Of Valved N95 Masks
- fashion trendsDesigner Anavila Misra Delivers 200 Linen And Mulmul Masks At The Post Office In Mumbai
- fashion trendsAmid Coronavirus Pandemic, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Masks Have Gained Popularity