- 10 hrs ago Priyanka Chopra Jonas Beckons Us To Pair Cycling Shorts With A Breezy Top
- 11 hrs ago Daughters Day 2019: 7 Ways How A Liberal Upbringing Can Help Daughters To Become Strong Women
- 11 hrs ago Navratri 2019: Messages & Greetings To Send To Your Loved Ones
- 12 hrs ago Saif Ali Khan And Soha Ali Khan Inspire Us To Wear Understated Outfits This Durga Puja
- News SAIL Jobs: SAIL recruitment 2019 notification download for 463 openings; Direct link to apply online
- Technology Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale: Best Smartphones Priced Under Rs. 3,999
- Automobiles Gaurav Gill Involved In An Accident During The INRC At Jodhpur: Three Dead Including A Minor
- Movies Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Are ECSTATIC About Gully Boy’s Oscar Entry; 'Making A Mark On World Stage'
- Sports PKL 2019: Clinical UP Yoddha end Tamil Thalaivas' playoff chances
- Finance Still Waiting For Income Tax Refund: You Might Have Gone Wrong Here
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- Travel How To Spend 3 Days In Goa: A Complete Travel Guide
On this Maha Shivratri day, we have shared a recipe for you called the "Vrat Wale Aloo" recipe. Here's a gist of the rules that you must follow during Maha Shivratri and the complete recipe details mentioned below. Take a look.
Rules For Shivratri Fasting
Devotees must take bath early in the morning of Maha Shivratri. Traditionally, it was necessary that the bathing water be boiled with black sesame seeds. This was to make sure that the impurities of the body and the mind are washed away.
You may choose to take a warm shower on this day.
You must wear clean clothes and may choose to visit a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Many devotees on this day stay in a Shiva temple for the whole day eating only what is offered as prasad.
Devotees do not take food of any kind after the sun sets on the Maha Shivratri day. During the day, you may eat milk and fruits. Many devotees do consume light meals through the day called 'palahar'.
When preparing food for the palahar, sendha salt is used specifically. Black pepper can be used instead of chilli powder or red chillies.
Vrat Wale Aloo Recipe
Given below is the recipe for Vrat wale aloo. It is a quick recipe that does not need much preparation. Here no onions or garlic are used and this dish is perfect for any kind of a fasting.
The Vrat wale aloo dish can be served along with pooris made with singhare ka atta or kuttu ka atta.
- Potatoes - 3
- Tomatoes - 3
- Green chillies - 1 or 2
- Ajwain or jeera seeds - ½ tsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Sendha salt - as required
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Peel and chop the potatoes into cubes.
- Cook them with sendha salt and water.
- Drain and keep them aside.
- Take a pan and heat the oil.
- When hot enough, add the ajwain or jeera seeds.
- When the ajwain or jeera seeds have crackled, add green chillies and sauté.
- When the green chillies turn aromatic, add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes turn mushy and start leaving oil from the sides.
- Now add senda salt.
- Add the cooked potatoes and mix well. Crush a few pieces with the ladle. This will help to thicken the gravy.
- Add water. Adjust the amount as per your wish. Less water will give you a thicker gravy.
- Simmer till the desired consistency is achieved.
- Add coriander leaves to garnish.