- Sports Elite strikers headline UFC return to Las Vegas on October 31
- Movies Parzaan Dastur, Silent Kid From Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Is All Set To Get Married!
- Finance 5 Best Fixed Deposits For Senior Citizens
- News ‘Hurt patriotic sentiments’: 3 PDP leaders quit Mehbooba Mufti's party over flag remark
- Automobiles New Ducati Multistrada 950 S India Launch Date Announced: Pre-Bookings Open For Rs 1 Lakh
- Technology Amazon.in Great Indian Festival Sale 2020: ‘Happiness Upgrade Days’ Offers On All Products
- Education CTET Score Validity: NCTE Extends Validity of CTET Score Card To Lifetime
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Tamil Nadu In November
You might have tasted dal tadka at several Punjabi restaurants or even otherwise. It is one dish that is prepared in every North Indian home on a regular basis. However, the real Punjabi dal tadka is found at the roadside dhabas of your 'pind'. Punjabi recipes are known for their spices and the interminable 'tadka' or seasoning.
Punjabi dal tadka is different from any other average dal tadka recipe mainly due to its seasoning. It is also a few shades spicier than the usual dal tadka recipe that you might be used to. But the Punjabis can never have less of anything. So be prepared for scores of ghee floating on the delicious yellow dal. Here is a simple and traditional recipe of Punjabi dal tadka.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Masoor dal- 1/2 cup
- Toor dal- 1 cup
- Tomatoes- 2 (chopped)
- Ginger- ½ inch (sliced)
- Onion- 1 chopped
- Turmeric- 1 pinch
- Green chillies- 2 (chopped)
- Dry red chilli- 2
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Ghee- 3tbsp
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 sprigs (chopped)
- Salt- as per taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. When it gets warm, add chopped onions to it.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame, then add ginger.
- Saute for another minute and add tomatoes.
- Sprinkle salt and cook the tomatoes for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
- Now, add the washed and soaked dals to the pressure cooker.
- Add 3 cups of water and turmeric to the dal and close the lid of the cooker.
- Cook for the duration of 3 whistles on a medium flame.
- Now, take a deep bottomed pan and add warm ghee in it.
- Temper it with a pinch of hing, cumin seeds, dry red chillies and bay leaf.
- After 30 seconds, add mustard seed and green chillies.
- Then, pour the boiled dal into the pan and stir to mix.
- Taste the salt to see if any more is needed.
Garnish the Punjabi dal tadka with coriander leaves and serve it with hot parathas.