China is a great civilisation that has given us so much. We got tea from China and also paper. But when it comes to food, Chinese cuisine has one of the greatest contributions to the world at large. If you are fan of Chinese food, then here is the perfect Thanksgiving recipe for you. Instead of going for the traditional turkey pot roast for Thanksgiving you can try the new Chinese style turkey roast this year.
The Chinese style turkey roast is basically soy based. The turkey is doused with abundance of soy sauce and then roasted with other Chinese ingredients like spring onions, bell peppers and generous amounts of garlic. The Chinese style turkey is not very different from a normally pot roasted turkey. The only special factor are the spices and the sauce. And yes, you do not have to eat a Chinese roast turkey with chopsticks!
Preparation Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Turkey- 3 kgs (whole and guts cleaned out)
- Garlic- 20 pods (crushed)
- Coriander leaves or parsley- 4 sprigs (crushed)
- Peppercorns- 15 (crushed)
- Green chillies- 8 (crushed)
- Soy sauce- 1 cup
- Vinegar- 1 cup
- Spring onions- 10 (diced)
- Bell peppers- 2 (diced)
- Tomatoes- 2 (diced)
- Olive oil- 3tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
1. Rub salt on the turkey (both outside and inside) and keep it doused in vinegar for 1 hour. This softens the meat.
2. Then marinate the turkey (both inside and outside) with crushed garlic, green chillies, parsley, pepper and soy sauce.
3. Douse it with some olive oil and leave aside for one hour.
4. Pre-heat the micro-oven to 350 degrees.
5. Stuff spring onions, bell peppers and tomatoes into the stomach of the turkey. The vegetables should be first tossed in some soy sauce.
6. Now grease the baking dish with olive oil and roast the turkey for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 60 per cent power.
7. Keep turning the bird around for even cooking.
Serve the Chinese style roast turkey with clear soup and oriental salad on Thanksgiving.