Your vagina is not exactly a meadow to smell fresh 24x7. In fact, healthy vagina is supposed to emit a distinct smell, just the degree of intensity varies. What you need to look out for is change in the smell, and that's when homemade vagina wash comes into picture.
Believe it or not, your lady part is a self-cleaning mechanism, with healthy amount of good bacteria that help maintain the required pH balance, which is 4.5. It is when the balance is tipped that the smell becomes pungent.
Also Read: 16 Tips To Keep Your Vagina Healthy
In short, if one can smell a normal vagina more than 1 foot away, there is a problem.
What triggers this smell? Menstrual cycle, lack of proper hygiene, unprotected sex, improper diet, etc., can all temporarily change the smell of your vagina.
Only way you can detect the difference is when you know your own smell well, so you can baseline the difference from what is normal and what is not!
Store-brought intimate wash are not always natural, irrespective of what they claim to be. Herbal vagina wash, on the other hand, are toxic free and they do not disrupt the natural balance and are skin safe.
Here are a few tips on how to make natural feminine wash at home, take a look.
Lemon Leaves + Chamomile Oil
Lemon leaves have antibacterial and anti-allergic agents that cleanse the intimate area, without disrupting the pH balance. And chamomile oil has antioxidants that reduce yeast infection.
- Take a cup of water, add 2 drops of chamomile oil with a bunch of lemon leaves
- Heat the solution, allow it to simmer for 5 minutes and then turn off the flame
- Let the solution cool in room temperature
- Use this DIY vagina wash not more than once a week
Aloe Vera + Yogurt
Lactic acid in yogurt kills the bad bacteria and antioxidants in aloe vera help remove any foul odour.
- Extract aloe gel, mix it with a teaspoon of yogurt
- Mix until the ingredients combine well
- Apply it to your vagina, let it sit for 5 minutes and then rinse
Witch Hazel + Burdock Leaves + Dandelion + Raspberry Leaf
Packed with antibacterial, antifungal and toning properties, these herbs not just help get rid of any bad smell down there, but they also tone and tighten the area.
- Take one teaspoon of all the dried herbs that are mentioned.
- Mix it with a cup of water and boil the concoction in low flame.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Allow the solution to cool in room temperature.
- Strain and use the homemade vagina wash.
Note: Make sure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients that are mentioned, before using them.
Witch Hazel + Rosewater + Coconut Oil + Lavender Oil
Witch hazel has tannins that repair broken skin, fight bacteria and relieve itching. And rosewater moisturises and tones the skin, coconut oil and lavender oil have a high ratio of antibacterial properties that remove foul smell.
- Mix ½ a cup of witch hazel, with ½ a cup of rosewater, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 6 drops of lavender oil
- Mix until all the ingredients combine
- Transfer the solution into a dispenser bottle, let it sit for 24 hours and use it as your regular intimate wash
Garlic + Basil + Ginger
All three ingredients are a powerhouse of sulphur, antioxidants and antibacterial properties that work to bring down the bad bacteria, which in turn controls foul smell.
- Crush 2 garlic cloves and a handful of basil leaves into a smooth paste, add a pinch of ginger powder to the mixture.
- Dilute the ingredients in a cup of water, let it sit for 3 hours, strain and use it.
Note: Avoid using the herbal remedy to keep vagina clean if you have rashes there or are breastfeeding.
Baking Soda + White Vinegar
White vinegar has antiseptic properties that neutralizes bad odour, baking soda, on the other hand, restores the pH balance.
- Take 2 tablespoons of white vinegar with half a cup of baking soda
- Add in the mixture to your bathing water, and soak in for 20 minutes
- Rinse with normal water
Coconut Oil + Tea Tree Oil
Being a strong source of antibacterial and antifungal properties, these oils help fight off the yeast infection in the vagina.
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil add in 10 drops of tea tree oil
- Apply the homemade vagina wash, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse and pat dry.