In every seven days prickly hair starts cropping up on your body, ready to be plucked and buffered to get that silky smooth skin you crave for. So, unless you want to give the 'furry' look a try, it is time to whip out that razor, lather on the shaving cream and get down to some grooming. But wait, is the shaving foam you so blindly rely on, really safe?
The answer is, no, it's not. Today, shaving creams are packed with a fistful of toxins namely phthalates, parfum, parabens, sulphate and triethanolamine. What do these toxic chemicals do to your body? Here is what.
Also Read: Ways To Soothe Your Skin After Shaving
Phthalates disrupt the natural hormone balance of your body. Parfum, which is basically fragrance, contains 3,000 other chemicals, which potentially puts you at the risk of developing cancer. And triethanolamine is a skin and respiratory toxicant!
If this does not convince you to swear off shaving creams, nothing will! While soap is definitely an alternative, it also contains the same chemical composition, not to mention it is extremely drying on the skin.
To avoid all this and more, here is a DIY shaving cream recipe made with natural ingredients that will get rid of pesky hair and nourish your skin leaving it silky smooth.
The main ingredients in this recipe are shea butter, coconut oil, essential oils, olive oil, vitamin E capsule and baking soda.
Shea butter and coconut oil have anti-bacterial properties that unclog pores and cleanse the skin, making it easy to shave hair. Essential oils work to lighten, brighten and soften the skin.
Vitamin E will repair damaged skin tissues and olive oil will nourish the skin from deep, leaving it silky smooth. Baking soda will add a roughness to the cream that will make it easy to shave off hair, while giving an exfoliating effect.
- 2/3 Cup of shea butter
- 2/3 Cup of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 20 drops of essential oil of your choice
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 capsule of vitamin E gel
- 1 Tablespoon honey
Also Read: How Men Should Shave Beard?
Direction to Follow
- In a pan, melt shea butter and coconut oil on a low flame. Add in the olive oil and essential oils. Stir until all the ingredients blend well.
- Turn off the flame, pour the solution into a bowl and add in the baking soda, honey and vitamin E. Stir well.
- Place the concoction in the refrigerator to solidify. After half an hour, remove the mixture and place it at room temperature until the paste softens a bit.
- Using a spatula, whisk the mixture rigorously, until it gets a fluffy and creamy texture. Store it in an air tight container and use it as and when required.
This easy to make shaving cream is chemical free, does not clog razors, is smooth on the skin and leaves your skin baby soft and silky.