- 1 hr ago Weekly Horoscope, 04 December To 10 December 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 04 December 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 10 hrs ago Do You Walk Every Day? Here Are 10 Common Walking Mistakes To Avoid
- 11 hrs ago Can Raw Honey Lower Blood Sugar And Cholesterol?
- Sports Cody Gakpo advised by teammate to snub Manchester United and join European giants
- Technology Redmi Note 12 Pro 4G Spotted On IMEI Database: Rebranded Android Smartphone Suspected
- Movies HIT 2 Day 2 Box Office Collection Worldwide: Adivi Sesh's Crime Film Gets Going Without Competition!
- Finance Axis Securities Sees Upside Potential In PSU Bank Stock, Large Cap Private Bank, Buy Call Assigned
- News MCD Elections 2022 LIVE: Stage set for high-stakes civic polls; Polling to begin at 8 am
- Automobiles Hyundai Confirms Ioniq 5 EV To Be Equipped With Level 2 ADAS – Comes With Front & Rear Radars
- Travel Indian Dentist Set A World Record For The Fastest Travel On Foot From Leh To Manali, Read About Mahendra Mah
- Education Around 3,000 Agniveers have joined Indian Navy
Tuesday night's Brit Awards ceremony in London did away for the first time with gender-specific categories, meaning there was no longer best male or female artist, but rather a best artist.
The organization followed in the footsteps of other major award shows, including the MTV Video Music awards. "It is important that the Brits continue to evolve and aim to be as inclusive as possible," Brit awards chair Tom March said in a statement in November, when the change was first announced.
Gendered Award Categories
Last year, leading non-binary artist Sam Smith criticized the prominent British award ceremony for their continued use of gendered award categories. According to Smith, it excludes artists who identify as neither male nor female.
Even though British culture secretary Nadine Dorries said she was concerned that women would not be "fairly represented" following the change, those fears were defied by the results of the evening: Women and female-fronted acts won 10 out 15 prizes.
Among them, Billie Eilish won best international artist, Olivia Rodrigo picked up best international song for "Good 4 U" and rapper Little Simz emerged as best new artist. But the big winner of the evening was pop star Adele.
Adele Remains The Queen Of Pop
Adele won best album for "30," as well as the prize in the hit single category for her soulful track, "Easy on Me," and the top prize: artist of the year. The pop icon also commented on the gender-neutral category change: "I understand why they changed the name of this award, but I really love being a woman, being a female artist, I do," she said to the crowd in the packed O2 arena in London.
Her hit single won against competition from artists including Glass Animals and KSI, among others. "I can't believe a piano ballad won against so many bangers," Adele said after her name was announced.
Speaking about her album, which saw record sales since its release, she thanked her 9-year-old son, Angelo, and ex-husband, Simon Konecki, dedicating it to them. She had previously stated that the album was made to explain her divorce to her young son.
"This album was all of our journey, not just mine, and I'm very proud of myself for sticking to my guns and putting out an album that was so personal to me — 'cause not many people do that any more. My son has been so kind and gracious and patient with me over the years," said the singer.
The success for the pop icon was a high point after several difficult weeks in which she cancelled her Las Vegas residency.
A New Category For Ed Sheeran
Red-headed rocker Ed Sheeran performed not once, but twice in the evening. Nominated in four categories, he did not win any of those awards, but took home an award in a newly created category, songwriter of the year, which was voted for by an independent panel.
sh/eg (AFP, Reuters)
- fashion trendsBRIT Awards 2022: Adele, Olivia Rodrigo - Decoding Best Dressed Celebrities On The Red Carpet!
- art cultureAdele's New Song 'Easy on Me' Tops 25 Million Views On YouTube; The Grammy Award Winning Singer Talks About It
- art cultureAMAs 2021 Winners List: BTS Dominates At American Music Awards, Taylor Swift Breaks Record With 34th Trophy
- art cultureGlobal Citizen Festival 2021: Billie Eilish, Coldplay, Jennifer Lopez, Ed Sheeran, Elton John To Perform
- fashionLACMA Art + Film Gala 2022: Kim Kardashian, Billie Eilish, Kendall Jenner, And Others Ace Glitzy Style
- skin careBillie Eilish Skincare Routine: From Eco-friendly Wipes To Cold Water Cleansing
- fashion trendsMET Gala 2022: The 15 Most Iconic Celeb Outfits From Fashion's Biggest Night In New York
- art cultureBillie Eilish: 10 Things That Make The Grammy Award-Winning Singer Special
- art cultureOscars 2022 Shortlist: Oscar-Winner Hans Zimmer, Maria Schrader, Asghar Farhadi, Billie Eilish, Beyonce
- women fashionMET Gala 2021: Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Billie Eilish And Megan Fox Flaunt Statement Beauty Looks
- fashion trendsGrammy Awards 2021: From Beyoncé To Taylor Swift, Who Wore What At The Awards Ceremony?
- fashion trendsGrammys 2020: Billie Eilish Wins Big And Here Is A Look At Her Rebel Fashion Game