House keys and locks are used on almost regular basis. These locks and keys can be maintained properly if they are used regularly. However, there are few locks that you seldom open. What happens when you try to open a lock that has not been used for more than 6 months? You find it hard to move the key inside the lock. It is all the power of rust that forces you to break the lock. When a key falls into mud or water, you simply rub it with a cloth piece. To maintain the key, you have to clean it properly or else they will become prone to rust.
6 simple ways to clean rust at home:
- Avoid keeping the keys in moist places. Moisture and water can build rust and make it difficult to clean them.
- If the key falls down in mud or water, wipe it with a clean tissue and then with a dry piece of cloth. Apply coconut oil and then leave it for sometime. Rub with a dry muslin cloth.
- Wash the keys with hot water once in a week or two. Make sure you wipe off water from the key completely. Air dry and use the neat and clean keys!
- Scrub the keys with salt and lemon or with a dish soap. It removes iron particles that settle down and then form rust. Lemon and salt also remove moisture that is absorbed by the metal key.
- If the house keys has got rust, soak them in vinegar and water solution. Leave for 15-20 minutes. When you see that the rust has come out, wash the keys with fresh water or else leave for another 30 minutes till the rust comes out completely.
- Toothpaste is another natural remedy to remove rust from the metal house keys. Scrub the keys with toothpaste on a brush. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse with hot water.
How to clean locks?
- If the locks have caught rust, pour few drops of coconut oil inside the lock hole. The key can then easily open the stubborn lock.
- Avoid keeping locks in places that are prone to moisture. Moisture will only form rust and make it difficult to unlock with a key.
- If you seldom open a lock, try to open it and lock it once in a week so that the rust formed inside cuts down due to movements.
Try these ways to clean and maintain house locks and keys.