6 simple ways to clean rust at home:
- Avoid keeping the keys in moist places. Moisture and water can build rust and make it difficult to clean them.
- If the key falls down in mud or water, wipe it with a clean tissue and then with a dry piece of cloth. Apply coconut oil and then leave it for sometime. Rub with a dry muslin cloth.
- Wash the keys with hot water once in a week or two. Make sure you wipe off water from the key completely. Air dry and use the neat and clean keys!
- Scrub the keys with salt and lemon or with a dish soap. It removes iron particles that settle down and then form rust. Lemon and salt also remove moisture that is absorbed by the metal key.
- If the house keys has got rust, soak them in vinegar and water solution. Leave for 15-20 minutes. When you see that the rust has come out, wash the keys with fresh water or else leave for another 30 minutes till the rust comes out completely.
- Toothpaste is another natural remedy to remove rust from the metal house keys. Scrub the keys with toothpaste on a brush. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse with hot water.
How to clean locks?
- If the locks have caught rust, pour few drops of coconut oil inside the lock hole. The key can then easily open the stubborn lock.
- Avoid keeping locks in places that are prone to moisture. Moisture will only form rust and make it difficult to unlock with a key.
- If you seldom open a lock, try to open it and lock it once in a week so that the rust formed inside cuts down due to movements.
Try these ways to clean and maintain house locks and keys.