Tofu is a healthy soy substitute for fat and high calorie paneer. Many health conscious people and dieters have started preferring tofu over paneer. You can make tofu at home or buy from the market. There are many recipes to include this healthy food in your menu. If you love spicy food and want to make tofu for lunch or dinner, you can try this side dish recipe. Here is a tofu chilli recipe that is made in the Singaporean style. This side dish can be served with steamed rice, pulao, noodles. You can either make it dry or turn it into a thick gravy. Lets check out the tofu chilli recipe.
Tofu chilli recipe, Singaporean style:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Tofu- 500gms (cut into medium small pieces)
- Onions- 2-3 (finely chopped)
- Spring onion- 2 (chopped with leaves)
- Capsicum- 1 (chopped)
- Tomato puree- ½ cup
- Green chillies- 4-5 (slit)
- Ginger- 1 inch (chopped)
- Garlic paste- 2tsp
- Chilli sauce- 2tsp
- Tomato sauce- 1tsp
- Vinegar- 1tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder/chilli flakes- 1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves/cilantro- for garnishing (chopped)
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add the onions and saute for a minute. Now add the capsicum, ginger and garlic. Cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes till the onion turns golden and the capsicum looks tender and cooked.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper powder and then add spring onions and green chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add tomato puree, tomato sauce, chilli sauce, red chilli powder or chilli flakes, vinegar and mix well. Bring it to a boil. When the tomato puree thickens, add tofu and mix well. Gently saute so that the tofu doesn't break.
Tofu chilli is ready. If you want to have it dry, let the tomato puree thicken to minimal. However, little gravy will be a great side dish with the meal. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve it with Singaporean noodles or plain plain rice. At times, you can also have it as a snack. Indians can have this side dish with rotis also. This dish is filling and is also low in calories and fats. Thus, you can have it without worrying about the weight gain!