Bun maska with a cup of 'garam chai' is what people in Mumbai love to have. Bun maska is one of those Mumbai recipes that have been popularised by a host of quaint Irani cafes. 'Maska' basically means butter and bun maska is a special kind of bun with butter.
Usually we perceive bun maska as a street food. But you do not have to wake up early and go to your favourite Irani cafe to try out this breakfast recipe. After all it is just bun and butter. You can easily make bun maska at home and start off your day with your favourite breakfast recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-5 minutes
- Sweet buns- 4
- Fresh cream- 1 cup
- Sugar- 2tbsp
- Cold Butter- 100 grams
1. Sweet buns usually come in a large loaf. You need the big loaf and not the tiny round bun for this recipe.
2. Cut the loaf vertically into slices. Each slice should be about 2 slices of normal bread held together.
3. Do not cut the slices too thin or two thick because then the maska (butter & cream) will not be able to absorb it properly.
4. Apply one layer of fresh cream on the white side of the bread. You can apply another layer of cream if you don't mind the calories.
5. The more cream you add, the creamier your bun will be.
6. Spread some sugar on the creamy layer of the bun. But if you are already using sweet bread, then you should ideally add just a bit of sugar.
7. Too much of sugar will ruin the flavour of creamy butter so limit the amount to a pinch of sugar on each slice.
8. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Meanwhile, you could start brewing some tea as bun maska is incomplete without a cup of steaming tea.
9. Place the slices of the bun with the creamy side up in the micro-oven. Warm it in the microwave for 3 minute on 40 per cent power.
10. As the bun cooks, cut slices of cold butter. The slices of butter should be approximately the size of the bun slices.
11. Now place a slice of butter between each slice of the bun and put it together. In other words, place the slices of bun and butter next to each other.
Now take one bite from the bun maska with a sip from cup of tea. It is one if the best combinations in the world.