It takes 10 minutes of prior preparation time to put together some perfectly delicious prawn rice. This is a lunch box recipe that will attract the envy of your colleagues at work because they would not be able to fathom how you prepared this easy seafood recipe in minutes. Rice may not be everybody's first choice for lunch but if you are working hard then you can treat yourself to this healthy rice recipe once in a while. To try this lunch box recipe you need to clean the prawns in advance and the vegetables you use are up to you. This is just the basic recipe.
Ingredients For Prawn Rice:
1. Prawns 10-15 (shelled and heads removed)
2. Polished Rice 2 cups (soaked and washed)
3. Onion 1 (sliced)
4. Green bell pepper or capsicum 1 (diced)
5. Tomato 1 (diced and chopped)
6. Ginger garlic minced 1 tablespoon
7. Parsley or coriander leaves 1 tablespoon (chopped)
8. Pepper corns 5-6
9. Cinnamon sticks 2
10. Cardamom pods 3
11. Nutmeg powder 1 teaspoon
12. Cumin Powder 1 teaspoon
13. Ground Pepper 1 teaspoon
14. Oil 1 tablespoon
15. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Prawn Rice:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Lightly fry the prawns in slightly heated oil and keep aside. Prawns lose their nutrition value if they are fried and become hard.
- Season the oil with pepper corns, cinnamon sticks and cardamom. Saute the onions in it until they turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic minced and cook for 2 minutes. Cook the bell peppers and tomato for another 2 minutes after adding salt.
- Add all the spices and cook for 2 minutes on low flame before pouring in the rice. The rice has to be cooked for 3 minutes on medium flame by stirring constantly to mix.
- Then throw in the prawns and add 4 cups of water. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for the duration of 2 whistles (5 minutes).
You can garnish your prawn rice with chopped coriander leaves before serving.