- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada Season 7 Day 39 Update - Luxury Budget Task Day 3
- Technology Buying Guide: Best 64MP Rear Camera Smartphones To Buy In India
- Sports Sunil Chhetri doing his best despite being 35, he's not going anywhere: India Head Coach Igor Stimac
- News Bengaluru: 20-year-old college student stabbed to death over brawl during cricket match
- Finance CSB Bank IPO Opens On 22 November: Things To Know
- Travel 10 Honeymoon Destinations In India – Let The Honeymoon Begin!
- Automobiles Mumbai Traffic Police To Arrest Motorists With Unpaid Traffic Fines: Too Strict?
- Education Why World Children's Day Is Celebrated On November 20?
Devutthani Ekadashi is a day when Lord Vishnu wakes up from sleep after a period of 4 months. This period, also known as Chaturmasa, is generally believed to be inauspicious for conducting any type of sacred or holy events, such as Puja, marriage, etc.
It begins with the Ekadashi of the Shravana month. Lord Vishnu goes to sleep on this day, also known as Devshayani Ekadashi. It falls in August according to the Gregorian calendar. Thus, from August to November, the period of four months, Lord Vishnu sleeps continuously.
Significance Of Devutthani Ekadashi
This day is considered very auspicious for all types of religious events. It is said that Pitra Dosha gets removed by observing a fast on Devutthani Ekadashi. The puja of both Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi should be done on this auspicious day to get more benefits and good luck in life. The day is also known for conducting the marriage of Tulsi and Shaligram, where Shaligram is the stone which represents Lord Vishnu.
How To Observe Devutthani Ekadashi
On the day of Devutthani Ekadashi, one should get up during the Brahma Muhurta and clean the house. Thereafter, one should take bath during the Brahma Muhurta only. Take an idol of Lord Vishnu and keep it in a lying position on a small stool covered with a yellow cloth. This way we assume that Lord Vishnu is sleeping. Do not forget to cover the idol in a yellow cloth as a blanket.
How To Awake Lord Vishnu
Chant the following mantra while clapping your hands; shake the idol two to three times while chanting the mantra. The mantra is as follows:
Utthishtha Govinda, Tajnnidram Jagatpataye,
Twayi Sutte Jagannath Jagat Suptam Bhavedidam
Utthishte Cheshtate Sarvamutthishthotthishtha Madhav
Gatamedha Vyacchaiva Nirmalam Nirmaladishah
Shardani Cha Pushpani Grihan Mam Keshava
Perform The Puja And Arti
Apply tilak on his forehead and light a lamp. Offer flowers to Lord Vishnu. Perform the arti and do not forget to blow the Shankh. Now, since Lord Vishnu has woken up, you can give him a bath in Gangajal. Dress him up nicely in a yellow attire.
Things To Abstain From
We should abstain from eating onions and non-vegetarians food and avoid alcohol as well. All these are believed to be Tamasik foods and are believed to generate demonic energies in a human being, thus promoting the demonic qualities. Besides that, we should also not eat rice on an Ekadashi day.