- 1 hr ago Bindu Madhava Sharma Swamiji: The Flying Saint Of Belaguru WIth Miraculous Powers
- 2 hrs ago Masaba Gupta’s Fitness Mantra Is All About Consistency: 5 Tips!
- 3 hrs ago DIY Skincare Ingredients: How To Safely Use Them
- 4 hrs ago How To Deal With A Crying Baby? 10 Ways To Soothe A Crying Newborn
- Movies Bigg Boss 16 Finale: Priyanka Choudhary's Friend Has The Cutest Message For Her As She Enters Last Week
- Finance Buy 3 Oil & Gas, Metal Sector Stocks Including Maharatna Stock For Gains Up To 48%: ICICI Securities
- Automobiles Ather Rolls Out 100,000th EV From Production Line - Record-Breaking January Sales
- Sports India vs New Zealand 3rd T20I: India win the Toss and choose to Bat; Umran Malik Comes In
- News Who said what on Union Budget 2023?
- Technology Samsung Galaxy M14 5G Renders, Color Options Leaked: India Launch Imminent
- Education GATE 2023: Exam will be held on Feburary 4; Check Details Here
- Travel Amazing New Restaurants in Bangalore to visit this year
Bhishma Kund, also known as Bhishmapitamaha Kund, is located at Narkatari in Thanesar,an old Kurukshetra city in Haryana. There is a small temple nearby with a damaged staircase which is rebuilt now, the spot where Bhishma lay bleeding unto death, on a bed of arrows, is where a temple is built in his name in Narkatari.
Bhishma Kund: History And Significance
Bhishma Pitamaha is a very popular Mahabharata legend and was highly respected by both Pandavas and Kauravas, and he sided with Kauravas in the war. Bhishma had the boon to live as long as he wanted. To top it all, he was an indefatigable warrior who was especially inclined towards Pandavas but out of compulsion, had to fight on the Kaurava side.
Being the son of Ganga and disciple of master archers, he could not be easily defeated. The Pandavas, bewildered with the proposition of fighting a giant like Bhishma sought Lord Krishna's advice to which Lord replied that they could employ a shrikhand or Eunuch to take Bhishma on in a battle to win this war against him. Bhishma could not attack ShiKhandi as he was unwilling to fight a eunuch.
Soon Shikhandi, shot several arrows at Bhishma which made him bleed profusely and caused him to sleep on the same bed of arrows till he breathed his last. He felt thirsty and demanded some water to drink at which instance, Arjuna shot an arrow to the ground from which torrents of water oozed out right where Bhishma was lying. This water stream was none other than his mother Ganges who rose up from the ground to quench the thirst of her son, Bhishma.
Bhishma was blessed with the boon of Ichcha Marana (he could die whenever he wanted), and he chose to die in the Uttarayana when the sun moved into the northern hemisphere. It was believed that one who breathes his last in the time of Uttarayana will have heaven's doors open for him to enter. In the meantime, he got his family assembled around him and preached to them about life and the administration of a kingdom. Also, a temple was constructed on the same premises which came to be known as Bhishma Narkatari Temple in Thanesar.
It takes 45 minutes to one hour for a complete darshan of this place. Anytime is the best time to visit this place with a historically rich background.
Bhishma Kund In Kurukshetra: How To Reach
The nearest Airport is Chandigarh International Airport and it takes about 2 hr 4 min (109 km) to reach Bhishma Kund. The nearest Railway Station is Kurukshetra. From the railway station, it takes 19 mins (9 km) to reach the Bhishma Kund.
Disclaimer: The information is based on assumptions and information available on the internet and the accuracy or reliability is not guaranteed. Boldsky does not confirm any inputs or information related to the article and our only purpose is to deliver information. Kindly consult the concerned expert before practising or implementing any information and assumption.
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 01 February 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 31 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 30 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- faith mysticismSignificance and Benefits of Chanting Lalitha Sahasranamam
- horoscopeWeekly Horoscope, 29 January To 04 February 2023, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 29 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 27 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 26 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 25 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 24 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 23 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeWeekly Horoscope, 22 January To 28 January 2023, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs