TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Complicity Of Pakistan In Pulwama Attack Strongly Underlined During India-Saudi Talks
- Clamour To Boycott India-Pakistan World Cup Clash Grows — Get The Complete Information
- Vivo V15 Pro Launched At Rs 28,990 — The Good, Bad & The X factor
- Best Places To Visit In India In March: A 2019 Must-visit Checklist
- Tata Electric Cars In India To Be More Desirable; EVs With 200-250km Range Confirmed
- PPF or Sukanya Samriddhi — Which Is A Better Investment For Girl Child?
- Disturbing Pictures Of Zoo That Staff Do Not Wish You To See
- Video: Varun Dhawan Posts A Sweet Message For His Fans
Buying a house is a matter of great excitement for everyone. The new house is a source of new hopes and aspirations for the owner. Hence, the entry into new house has to be grand and auspicious.
Griha Pravesh or house warming ceremony is a popular ritual which is followed in most cultures around the world. The owner enters the new house by invoking the name of God so that good luck and prosperity resides in the house forever.
In Hinduism, Griha Pravesh is a very important ritual in a person's life. While we build houses with our hard earned money, we want Gods to bless us and help us maintain peace and prosperity in the house as well. On the day of Griha Pravesh the family enters the house at an auspicious time and performs puja in order to please the deities and protect the house from all evil forces.
There are a few rituals that are followed while performing the Griha Pravesh puja. Here are the steps on how to do Griha Pravesh Pooja on entering your new house.
Things You Need For Griha Pravesh Pooja
- Idol of Lord Ganesha & Goddess Lakshmi
- Kalash or a pot filled with water
- Toran or mango leaves in a string to be hung on the door
- Pooja items (turmeric, kum kum, incense sticks, lamp, sandalwood paste, fruits, flowers, sweets etc.)
- Items for havan (havan vessel, firewood, ghee, havan powder, matches etc.)
An auspicious day is chosen for Griha Pravesh according to the movement of the Sun. When the Sun moves north, it is regarded as the best time for Griha Pravesh.
Worshipping The Cow
A cow is a sacred animal in Hinduism. So, on Griha Pravesh a cow is decorated with garlands, worshipped and then taken inside all the rooms of the house to invoke blessings.
Lord Ganesha, Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Saraswati are worshipped at the threshold of the house to prevent evil forces from entering the house.
The lady of the house (wife of the owner) should enter the house first with a pot full of water and should first keep her right foot inside the house. The husband or the owner should follow her with the idols of the God and Goddesses. Then the children must enter with the groceries which signifies prosperity. In the end, the relatives should enter.
The havan kund is lighted and the first hom (pooja) is performed invoking Lord Ganesha. Ganesha is known as the remover of obstacles and hence He is worshipped to get rid of all the hindrances in entering the house.
Navagraha means nine planets. It is belived that all the nine planets influence the house. So, this puja is performed to please all the nine planets.
Goddess Lakshmi is invoked for wealth, prosperity and good health in the new house. She is the one with the blessings of whom, wealth, food, clothing etc. all the basic needs and many more desires keep being fulfilled. Hence, it is obligatory to worship Goddess Lakshmi during Griha Pravesh.
Boiling The Milk
After the puja, the first thing to be cooked in the new house is milk. One should first boil milk on the day of Griha Pravesh. After that the new house must not be left vacant at least for 24 hours.