- 3 hrs ago Erythritol: Health Benefits And Side Effects
- 4 hrs ago International Men's Day 2019: Things You Can Do To Make Your Man Feel Special
- 4 hrs ago This Winter Season, Keep Your Nail Game Strong With These Superb Trending Colours
- 5 hrs ago Aamir Khan's Laal Singh Chaddha Look Is So In Tune With The Fashion Sensibilities Of A Common Man
- News Vodafone Idea, Airtel to raise mobile service rates from December amid financial crunch
- Technology Redmi Note 8 With 3GB RAM To Be Launched Soon In India: Price And Availability
- Sports Hope X1 Racing League revives stagnant Indian motorsport scene: Karthikeyan
- Movies Rakul Preet Singh Joins The Cast Of John Abraham And Jacqueline Fernandez Starrer Attack
- Finance Should You Get An Insurance To Cover Possible Loss Of Car Keys?
- Automobiles Land Rover Off-Road Driving Experience: The "Above & Beyond Tour 2019’ Comes To Bangalore
- Travel Igatpuri – A Perfect Travel Destination
- Education JEE Main 2020 Sample Question Paper With Solution For Numerical Value Section
We all have heard about a character called 'kumbhakarna' in Ramayana who used to sleep for six months and for rest of the six months he would remain awake eating anything and everything that he found.
However, do you know the reasons why Kumbhakarna used to sleep for six months continously? Well, we shall brief you about this story today.
Kumbhakarna was the younger brother of Ravana. Though he had a gigantic look, it is said that he was intelligent and good by heart.
To be precise, during the war between Lord Rama and Ravana, Ravana being the elder brother asked Kumbhakarna to help him win over Lord Rama.
But when Ravana explained the situation to his younger brother, Kumbhakarna tried to convince his brother Ravana that what he was doing was wrong. When Ravana did not listen to the advice, with an obligation of being his brother, Kumbhakarna stood by Ravana to fight against Rama.
It is also believed that Kumbhakarna used to eat the sages and rishi munis too. No matter what he ate, nothing could supress his hunger.
So, let's now read more on why Kumbhakarna slept for six months straight.
Though Indra was the leader of the devas, he was jealous of Kumbhakarna, as he was very intelligent and brave. So, Indra was waiting for the right time to take revenge over Kumbhakarna.
Yagna And Yaga:
The three brothers Ravana, Kumbhakarna and Vibhishana performed yagna and yaga to please the lord Brahma.
Boon Or Curse:
When Brahma was pleased with their prayers, he asked Kumbhakarna what he wanted. All the brothers were happy and then instead of asking for 'IndrAsana' that is the throne of Indra, Kumbhakarna asked for 'NidrAsana' that is a sleeping bed.
When Kumbhakarna said NidrAsana instead of IndrAsana, he realised he was dazed by what he had told. By the time he could realise the mistake, Brahma had already said 'asthu', which means the boon is granted. Though he asked Brahma not to consider this wish, Brahma could not undo his grant.
As it was known that Indra was jealous of Kumbhakarna, it is said that Indra himself requested Devi Saraswati to make Kumbhakarna tell 'NidrAsana' instead of 'IndrAsana'.
From then on Kumbhakarna slept for 6 months and stayed awake for the next 6 months and ate whatever he could find around to supress his hunger.