So you’ve been in a relationship with your partner for quite a long time and now you wish to move to the next level and get married. If only, it was as easy for each one of us.
Getting married to the one you have chosen for yourself isn’t an easy road to take, especially for those of them whose families are still stuck on the hypocritical norms of the society.
For them, it is a real big problem to convince their parents and get married; and to get through it, one requires a great deal of patience.
Also Read: Why Parents Like To Arrange Marriages?
When someone falls in love, it is not to the class, creed, religion, caste or family background and status of the person.
It’s just that person who matters the most, but for the families, it often happens that the former things are extremely important.
It may also be the case that you are simply unable to convey your feelings in the right manner, which plays a very essential role here.
Your plan of action for passing on this information to your parents is very crucial for the kind of reaction you will get from your parents. Here are some of the best tips to convince your parents for your marriage, have a look.
1. Find A Confidante Within Your Family: Find a confidante within your family who is also close to your parents. It is very essential for you to have a support from someone who is trustworthy to both you as well as your parents. It can be your elder sibling, grandparent and uncle or aunt, but choose wisely, as this person will play a vital role in convincing your parents.
2. Give Small Hints: Give your parents small hints from time to time that you are much in favour of love marriages, rather than arranged ones, so that it doesn’t come as a surprise to them when they come to know about your relationship and your decision to marry your partner.
3. Introduce Your Partner As A Good Friend First: Arrange for your families to meet in some public gathering, introducing your partner as a very good friend of yours first. Make sure they get to spend a good time together by exchanging all the necessary information about the likes and dislikes of both the families with your partner beforehand.
4. Talk Often About Your “Good Friend”: Talk about your 'good friend’ at times and praise the person whenever you get a chance, so as to create some acceptance for them in your family.
Also Read: Do Love Marriages Last?
5. Try To Patiently Explain Your Point Of View: Now is the time when you have to finally let your parents know about your decision loud and clear. Try to tell them why it so very important for you and do not react excessively if they say 'no’. Be patient with what they have to say and then try to eradicate their fears.
6. Ask Your Parents To Assess Your Partner Well: Arguing on a rational or logical reasoning will not work here. For any parent, their child’s marriage is a complete emotional affair. Give them time to soak in the information and think about it further. Let them analyze the pros and cons and ask them to assess your partner on all that is needed for a successful marriage.
7. Provide Examples Of Other Successful Love Marriages In The Family: Try and get hand of a list of other successful love marriages in your family. Use all these stories and examples to try and convince your parents that you are not doing anything wrong and out of the normal in this world.