- Movies Josh Artist Dilip Wins Hearts, Reaches Dance World Cup Held in Portugal ; Continues To Make Nation Proud
- News Muslim woman accuses 3 Hindus of kidnapping and raping her; cops find it to be 'false complaint'
- Sports Shubman Gill surpasses Virat Kohli to become India's highest individual scorer in T20Is
- Finance Buy 3 Oil & Gas, Metal Sector Stocks Including Maharatna Stock For Gains Up To 48%: ICICI Securities
- Automobiles Ather Rolls Out 100,000th EV From Production Line - Record-Breaking January Sales
- Technology Samsung Galaxy M14 5G Renders, Color Options Leaked: India Launch Imminent
- Education GATE 2023: Exam will be held on Feburary 4; Check Details Here
- Travel Amazing New Restaurants in Bangalore to visit this year
Be it getting stuck in traffic, attending an event room full of people or meeting someone while travelling to unknown places- a person catches your eye and all it takes is one look from that person! Suddenly there are butterflies in your stomach, you start to blush and become anxious and you cannot stop thinking about them.
It can be your best friend or a complete stranger. But, have you ever given thought that what makes us fancy them? Maybe what excites us is the mystery and the physical energy that draws us towards them, but no we cannot pinpoint anything in particular.
According to professor Claire Hart, who teaches a module on the psychology of attraction at the University of Southampton, there are five main determinants of attraction: physical attractiveness, proximity, similarity, reciprocity and familiarity, mentions a report published in hamhigh.co.uk website.
Here's why we get attracted to certain people and all you need to do is understand 8 powerful indicators.
1. Finding Similarity
Humans love to belong to someone or somewhere and therefore, they automatically get attracted to someone who has similar personality traits. However, this doesn't mean that the partners will be compatible or end up in a long-term relationship. Also, psychologists say that people who have facial symmetry, get more attraction in comparison to others.
2. Geography Is A Factor
We tend to get attracted to people who are closer to us geography-wise. This works because it becomes easier to see the person if he or she lives in the same area. Also, how awesome will that be if they work in the same office? Also, if someone or something is unattainable, you want them more.
3. Physical Excitement
There is an adrenaline rush when you get attracted to someone. While for some it is emotional attraction, for others there is physical attraction. It is the spark that one is looking for. Your heart starts to beat faster and there are butterflies in your stomach.
4. Feeling Good Is Essential
There is a chance that the person may not make you feel emotionally good and yet you long to be with that person due to physical attraction. However, physical attraction is not the only thing that attracts someone, their personality plays a great role as well.
In Psychology, there is a term called 'Halo Effect' and it is a social psychological phenomenon or a type of cognitive bias in which our overall impression of a person influences how we feel and think about their character.
5. Shortage Of Potential Partners
It is very much possible that there will dearth of potential partners and therefore, we tend to choose from the ones who are available around us. However, this doesn't guarantee or determine that your relationship or companionship will last long or end early.
6. Good Looks Matter
When people look for love, they have a more or less clear idea of what they are looking for. But, when it comes to looks, it is not a mystery and we know what we are looking for.
People of all gender identities are more attracted to people they find good-looking. But the attraction we feel may depend on whether others experience that person as attractive, and the context we're in (that is if there are other attractive/less attractive people in the same room). A person's looks tend to be more important at the beginning of a relationship compared to later on in a romantic relationship.
7. Hormones Have A Role
Attraction doesn't mean it will be determined by physical characteristics. Partly, the way one smells (which is referred to as pheromones) can also increase the levels of hormones. When attraction increases, then the level of oxytocin and dopamine increases as well.
8. Similarity In Status
Even though it sounds unpleasant, many people want to mingle with people with high status. This is also a factor when it comes to getting attracted to someone. Also, it is true that people who are attractive, healthy, wealthy and friendly end up with more dates.
- beyond loveHow To Drama Proof In Your Relationship, Crucial Steps To Keep In Mind To Heal It
- beyond loveLarge Age Gap In Relationship? Things To Remember To Bridge The Gap
- beyond loveAre You A People Pleaser? How To Deal With It In Relationships Without Losing Yourself
- relationshipElder Abuse: How To Detect It And What You Can Do To Prevent It From Happening
- love and romanceTop Winter Dating Ideas That Will Keep Your Relationship Warm
- beyond loveHow To Build Empathy In A Relationship? Tips That Will Help You To Bond Better With Your Partner
- beyond loveHow To Keep Desire in Long-Term Relationships Alive And Find It When It’s Gone
- parents and childrenHow Parents Of LGBTQ Youths Can Ensure That Their Children Are Happy: Here's How To Start
- marriage and beyondMarriage And Children: How To Keep Your Relationship Strong After Having Kid(s)
- relationshipLong Distance Gifts For Couples That Will Bring You Closer To Their Partner
- parents and childrenPlanning To Have A Kid? Critical Conversations Or Frank Dialogue That You Need To Have With Your Partner
- womenDating Trend 'Consciously Single' Is Becoming Popular With Indian Women: Study Reveals Why!