- 35 min ago Beauty Industry Challenges In 2023 And Viable Solutions
- 1 hr ago Bhasm Aarti At Mahakaleshwar, Ujjain: Procedures And Aartis By Naga Sadhus
- 3 hrs ago Valentine's Day 2023: Are We Forging Relationships Under Pressure, Saying Things About Love That Aren't True?
- 3 hrs ago World Cancer Day: Types Of Common Cancer Reported In Indian Children; Can It Be Prevented?
- Sports How MS Dhoni calmed down Virat Kohli in 2015 World Cup? Pakistan player Sohail Khan Reveals
- Finance 5 Penny Stocks Under Rs 6 That Locked In Upper Circuit On Feb 3, 2023
- Technology Realme 10 Pro Coca-Cola Edition India Launch Confirmed: Pre-Booking May Earn Free Smartphone
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Sumbul Touqeer In Danger Zone; Here Are The 4 Milestones Achieved By Her Ahead Of Grand Finale
- News Indian pharma recalls eye drops linked to infection death in US
- Travel Do You Plan to Take a Solo trip in 2023? Know How Travel Insurance Helps
- Education UGC NET December Exam 2022: Exam City Intimation Link will be available soon; Check Details Here
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Jimny Bags More Than 15,000 Bookings – Longer Waiting Period Expected
Karva Chauth is primarily celebrated by Hindu women in north India. Married women observe it on the fourth day after the full moon of the Hindu lunisolar calendar month of Kartik. Women fast from sunrise until the sighting of the moon to protect and prolong the life of their husbands.
In 2022, Karva Chauth will be celebrated on 13 and 14 October. In particular, if you are fasting for the first time, you will require additional energy and effort. Women will fast at dawn, not eat during the day, and look through a sieve at their husbands and the moon after completing the fast.
While women throughout the country celebrate this festival with great zeal, observing an austerity fast during pregnancy can pose a problem because it involves balancing traditional beliefs with the health of the expecting mother and her baby.
Let's look at some commonly asked questions regarding Karva Chauth - Is It Safe To Fast During Pregnancy? Do's And Don'ts For Pregnant Women During Karva Chauth Fast.
Karva Chauth And Pregnant Women: What You Should Know
Pregnant women are not recommended to fast during Karva Chauth because their bodies undergo many changes and may suffer health problems if they do not consume water throughout the day .
As it has been advised, pregnant women should not fast during Karwa Chauth since it can elevate blood sugar levels and trigger several body issues, not just for the expecting mother but also for the foetus.
If you fast for an extended period during pregnancy, you may experience bloating, acidity, nausea, and discomfort. Therefore, eating at regular intervals during pregnancy will help you healthily manage your pregnancy. However, you must also avoid any form of physical activity if you are pregnant and wish to observe a fast, as it can cause you to become exhausted .
Breastfeeding mothers are not expected to fast, particularly if their child is under six months old and exclusively breastfed. However, depending on your child's age and how you feel, you may decide to fast .
However, some women wish to fast. If this is the case, it is recommended that they avoid fasting completely without food and include fluids such as coconut water, fresh juices, milk, and fresh fruit smoothies. However, a doctor should be consulted if one is still considering fasting .
Do's For Pregnant Women During Karva Chauth Fast
In case pregnant women still wish to fast, they should not skip water during the fast and should consult their gynaecologist, particularly if they are experiencing pregnancy-related health issues.
- Get your day started with a glass of milk: To ensure that you are fuelled throughout the day, it is imperative that you begin the day with a glass of milk and also include vermicelli in your sargi*. It is high carb and high calcium starts to the day, which will ensure that you are well fed even while you are fasting. It is possible to keep yourself full by drinking lukewarm milk with mixed dry fruits and nuts at the beginning of each day .
*Sargi is the food consumed by women who fast throughout the day. It is prepared by the mother-in-law. Sargis have both sweet and savoury dishes. A Sargi thali typically includes pheni or meethi seviyan, fruits, coconut, dry fruits, parathas, and sweets.
- Drink plenty of water: Although women generally do not have water during Karva Chauth fast, pregnant women must remain hydrated. Ensure that you consume many healthy drinks throughout the day, such as fruits and fruit juices, buttermilk and coconut water, etc., to keep yourself hydrated and refreshed. Stay hydrated by drinking fresh fruit juice every 2-3 hours to avoid dehydration or urinary tract infections .
- Be sure to get adequate rest: As a woman's body is already working extra hard during pregnancy, proper care must be taken to take full rest and not exert at all during fasting since the body is devoid of proper nourishment .
Don'ts For Pregnant Women During Karva Chauth Fast
- Feeling weak or experiencing nausea is caused by the lack of food and water you are consuming, so do not panic.
- Avoid consuming high-calorie or sugary foods during pregnancy, as this may lead to gestational diabetes .
- Make sure you take your medicine and supplements regularly.
On A Final Note...
Several reasons may lead women to fast - some may be dieting or fasting for weight loss. However, fasting during pregnancy is not recommended. Instead, you need to drink enough water and eat a well-balanced diet to ensure your baby and you receive adequate nutrition.
Generally, pregnant women and nursing mothers are not expected to fast during pregnancy, even if it is for religious reasons, due to the health risks to you and your baby.
Nevertheless, it is a personal decision, so it is a good idea to consult with your midwife or doctor for advice if you decide to fast.
- festivalsKarva Chauth 2022: Know About Sargi Thali, Fasting, Moonsighting And Applying Mehendi / Alta
- diet fitnessKarva Chauth 2022: Healthy Foods To Eat After Karva Chauth Fast And What To Avoid
- bollywood wardrobeKarva Chauth 2022: Alia Bhatt To Katrina Kaif, Red Ethnic Outfit Ideas From Bollywood Divas
- womenKarwa Chauth And Patriarchy – Should Indian Women Observe The Fast?
- festivalsKarwa Chauth 2021: Date, Time, Puja Muhurat, Rituals, Vrat Vidhi And Significance
- marriage and beyondKarwa Chauth: Text Messages To Send To Your Wife And Make Her Feel Special
- women fashionKarwa Chauth 2019: This Karwa Chauth Spruce Up Your Look With These Stunning Hairstyles
- festivalsKarwa Chauth 2020: Here's Why Women Use Sieve (Chalni) On This Day To See The Moon
- festivalsKarwa Chauth Vrat 2020: Dos And Don'ts Of The Festival That You Must Know
- marriage and beyondKarwa Chauth 2020: 8 Unique Ideas To Make Your Wife Feel Special On This Day
- make up tipsKarwa Chauth 2019: 5 Alluring Make-up Looks From The Bollywood Divas For This Karwa Chauth
- festivalsKarwa Chauth 2019: Vrat, Muhurta And Puja Vidhi For Unmarried Girls