- 12 min ago How To Drama Proof In Your Relationship, Crucial Steps To Keep In Mind To Heal It
- 1 hr ago Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome Diagnosed In Woman Who Couldn't Stop Puking For Two Years: Read All About It Her
- 1 hr ago Ashtakam: An Ancient Indian Poetry Form That Captivates You With Rhyme And Rhythm
- 2 hrs ago Pregnancy Tips: How To Manage Food Poisoning During Pregnancy?
- Movies Sidharth Malhotra-Kiara Advani Wedding: Venue, Date, Guest List & Other Things We Know About Their Marriage
- Sports India vs New Zealand: Lucknow pitch curator sacked after preparing 'shocker wicket'
- Finance Small Cap Stock Declared 150% Dividend, Hits 52 week Low, Gained 471.96% In 3 Yrs, Check Record Date
- Travel Best Destination For Elderly Couples In India To Visit On Valentine 2023
- News Political parties demand early adjournment of first half of budget session
- Automobiles Tata Blocked Porsche From Using The Safari Name - Here's Why We Got The 911 Dakar
- Technology Motorola Moto Edge 40 Pro Renders Leak: 6.67-Inch Curved OLED Display, SD8 Gen2 SoC Expected
- Education SMIT Admission 2023: Registration Started; Check Details Here
Known as the Proustian moment, it's an integral part of literature - where a smell triggers a rush of memories that's sometimes long past or almost forgotten. It's because of the anatomy of the brain that smell and memory seem so closely linked.
A recent Vice article explored the smells of Indian cities. According to the article, artists and researchers sniffed, smelt, and inhaled their way through India's biggest cities . I couldn't stop reading it - it was like smelling the cities, sitting at my desk.
Let's explore what our Indian cities smell like...
What Do Indian Cities Smell Like?
Bengaluru aka Bangalore smells like....
Mysore Sandal soap, sambar, open garbage dumps, cigarettes stubbed in water.
Chennai smells like....
Filter coffee, jasmine flowers, detergent, vadas and vibhuti.
*Vibhuti: In Agamic rituals, vibrhuti is made from burnt dried wood, burnt cow dung, and/or cremated bodies.
Delhi smells like....
Saptaparni flowers, slow-burning plastic, incense, rotis, rotting corpses.
*Saptaparni flowers: In Sanskrit, sapta signifies seven and parni means leaves. As the name indicates, the leaves are usually found in bunches of seven on a stem.
Mumbai smells like....
Salt, sea, sweat and fish.
Kolkata smells like....
Phuchkas, chhatim flowers, and fried fish.
*Phuchka is a spicy variation of pani puri, golgappa, or gupchups.
*Chhatim flowers is the Bengali name for Saptaparni flowers.
There's a different smell for every city-every neighbourhood. These smells connect us to the cities, the lives we've had in these space-forgettable, yet easily rekindled.
The Connection Between Smell And Our Brain
From the scientific perspective: In your brain, the thalamus relays sensory information from your eyes, ears, touch, and taste. The thalamus then sends that information to the relevant brain areas, like the hippocampus, which is involved with memory, and the amygdala, which is involved with emotions .
It is different with smells. Scents bypass the thalamus and are sent directly to the olfactory bulb in the brain. As the olfactory bulb is directly connected to the amygdala and hippocampus, it is possible to understand why the smell of something can trigger such vivid memories and intense emotions so immediately .
We have been shown by research that odours serve as a memory trigger, making it easier to recall or recognise information . In essence, the stronger emotional memory connection with odor than with other sensory experiences appears to be due to the privileged access of the central brain structures of the olfactory system to the limbic system structures-the amygdala and hippocampus, which are involved in regulating emotion and emotional memories.
- womenEmpowering Women In Transport Sector: India Gets Its First All Women Bus Depot In Delhi
- lgbtqIndian-American Attorney Janani Ramachandran Becomes First Qeer Woman Of Colour US City Council Member
- astrologyMakar Sankranti Predictions For India
- lifeNational Youth Day 2023: Leaders Across India Share Vision For Youths To Drive Change
- lifeTop 5 Most Popular Dance Influencers In India To Follow
- pulsePravasi Bharatiya Divas 2023: Interesting Facts, Government of India's Initiatives For Overseas Indians
- disorders cureLung Cancer In India Increased By 5%; 4 States With High Numbers
- disorders cureBF.7 Covid Outbreak: New Variant Will Not Lead To Another Major Wave In India; Why?
- pulseVijay Diwas 2022: Interesting Facts About 1971 India-Pakistan War And Birth Of Bangladesh
- wellness1.58 Crore 10-17-Year-Olds Addicted: Tips For Staying Drug Free
- healthIndia: The Pharmacy Of The Third World And Biggest Exporter Of Generic Drugs
- art cultureIndia's 5 Most Ancient Dishes; Check If Your Favourite Dish Is On The List!