- 2 hrs ago Ratan Tata, Anand Mahindra And Other Business Tycoons Who Came Foward To Fight Against Coronavirus
- 2 hrs ago Coronavirus: Fashion Brands That Are Making Masks To Support Medical Workers
- 7 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 29 March 2020
- 16 hrs ago How To Take Care Of A Patient With Suspected Or Confirmed COVID-19
- News Spicejet pilot tests positive for coronavirus
- Sports Tokyo organisers eye July 2021 for delayed Olympics: reports
- Technology Realme 2020 Flagships To Have Higher Refresh Rate: Report
- Automobiles Top Car News Of The Week: 2020 Maruti Dzire, BS6 Mahindra Bolero, BS4 Deadline, & More
- Movies Vijay And Atlee To Join Hands Again For Thalapathy 66?
- Finance RBI ‘s EMI Moratorium: Higher Interest If You Opt For EMI Break
- Travel 10 Best Family Friendly Destinations To Visit In April In India
- Education Coronavirus Outbreak: NTA Helpline Numbers Released For JEE Main & NEET Aspirants
As we are aware, cigarette smoking is known to cause numerous types of cancers and is the single largest cause for cancer deaths. Although such is the case, cigarette sales are massive sources of revenue for some of the top governments in the world.
Having said this, it makes us wonder what makes cigarette smoking so popular. Well, for all those who smoke, there are many interesting facts about cigarette smoking you'd definitely want to know. Every one of these facts is certain to take your breath away.
Let us look at some fascinating facts about cigarette smoking.
The American brands:
This has to be among the most fascinating facts about cigarette smoking. The American brands Camel, Marlboro, Kool and Kent control almost 70 percent of the world cigarette market.
The cigarette industry is one of the largest industries in the planet. Worth a whopping 400 billion dollars, cigarettes are the most widely traded commodities in the globe. Over one trillion cigarettes are sold each year across the globe.
The nicotine in cigarettes:
Studies have divulged that the quantity of nicotine in cigarettes has seen a progressive rise. In fact, the ascent in nicotine quantity in cigarettes is steady even today. Nicotine, known to be among the most addictive drugs in the world, has the characteristic of inducing progressive addiction in humans. Meaning, if you have been smoking a cigarette that has a certain level of nicotine, you most probably won't suddenly settle for one that has a lesser degree of nicotine.
Urea in ciggarettes. Weird, don't you think?
If you didn't know this for a fact, urea is used in cigarettes to add flavour. Wierd, isn't it?
How many years have you lost?
Answers to this question cannot be proved with absolute certainty. But going by credible research studies, scientists state that an average smoker will lose approximately 8 years of his life.
The presence of nicotine
Well, here is perhaps one of the most interesting facts about cigarette smoking. For smokers, nicotine is found in almost every part of the body, including breast milk. Once inhaled, it takes just about 8-10 seconds for nicotine to reach the brain.
Are you diabetic? Beware of the sugar content
Sugar makes up for about 20 percent of every cigarette. Many people aren't aware of this critical fact. So diabetics, beware of the secret intake of sugar.
WHO statistics claim that a staggering 25 percent of cigarettes produced are smuggled to other countries and sold.
The immune system:
The immune system of smokers normally has to work harder, owing to the number of toxins that enter the blood. The body of smokers generally contains lesser quantities of anti-oxidants owing to the presence of numerous toxins. However, smokers have a better capacity to avert common diseases owing to a faster response from the immune system.