The most disturbing peril of your house that becomes the reason of your sheer discomfort is the presence of white ants or termites. It is this insect that is enough to destroy the foundation of a house, single-handedly. No one would want these pesky creatures roaming around freely in their home, when they've invested a lot of money in building their dream.
It could be a shattering feeling to see these wretched insects in our homes. However, it is true that removing white ants is not an easy task. Sometimes, you may not even realise that your house or furniture is infested by termites. And when you see the result, it can be very late. In such cases, how to get rid of white ants at home?
Basically, there are 2 types of white ants, that is, dry wood and subterranean. While the former type are found to destroy wooden substances, the latter type are known to have a deep connection with the soil. It is very important to test the soil before constructing a building. As, subterranean termites can make their way upward and destroy the base of the house.
The easiest way of killing white ants is to call a pest control. However, the smell of the spray they use can be unbearable. If you have kids, aged or ill people in your house, this spray can be harmful to them. With natural ways to get rid of white ants at home, you can keep the side effects away. Read on to know more.
1. Vinegar: To find natural ways to get rid of white ants at home, you don’t need to call an expensive pest control office. Make a 50:50 solution of vinegar and water and spray it around your house, wherever you see ants. The solution has no smell after drying, hence you won’t feel suffocated.
2. Lemon Juice: What are the other ways of getting rid of white ants naturally? With lemon, you don’t have to panic. White ants can’t stand citric acid. Therefore, make a solution of water and lemon juice and pour it into a spray bottle. Use it as a deterrent to keep white ants away.
3. Boric Acid: This is one of the best answers for getting rid of white ants at home. White ants are adverse to boric acid. When it enters into their body, the poison can make them die. You can use this non-toxic component at the areas you see ants commonly.
4. Diatomaceous Earth: This is one of the natural ways of getting rid of white ants at home. You just need to sprinkle this insecticide at the windowsills, doorways and also around your house. Though it is not much harmful, it is recommended to cover your face and wear gloves while handling this.
5. Cardboard Trap: Through this you can completely get rid of termites. White ants or termites are attracted to cellulose. Take some pieces of cardboard and wet them. Make a pile. When you see that the termites have infested completely, take the cardboard pieces to a safe area and burn it. This is a quick process to kill all the termites.
6. Nematodes: With this microscopic worm, you’ll know how to get rid of white ants at home. You can buy these from any garden store. The container contains a sponge-like material. Just squeeze it into water to make a nematode solution and spray it on the affected areas. If you find the nest of ants, pour the solution on it to kill the city.
7. Keep Wooden Furniture In Sunlight: How to get rid of white ants at home if your furniture is infested? The answer to this is very simple. All you have to do is to keep the infested furniture under the bright light of the sun. As termites boom in darkness, the sunlight and heat can kill them.