- 6 min ago COVID-19: What Is Happy Hypoxia? Is It Dangerous? How To Detect It?
- 1 hr ago Happy Birthday Nushrat Bharucha: 3 Party-Wear Dresses From The Diva’s Closet To Bookmark For Summer
- 9 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 17 May 2021
- 1 day ago On Vicky Kaushal’s Birthday, His Super-Cool Hairstyles From Masaan, Manmarziyaan And Sanju
- Movies Gautam Gulati Reveals He Accidentally Hit Salman Khan While Shooting An Action Scene For Radhe
- News Daily Covid-19 cases dip for the first time in 26 days
- Finance From Filing Belated ITR To TDS Payment: Check New Timelines Here
- Technology Amazon MiniTV Streaming Service Arrives In India; How Is It Different From Netflix?
- Sports Sandpaper Gate: Cricket Australia Integrity team reaches out to Cameron Bancroft after revealing interview
- Automobiles New Ather Electric Scooter Patented In India: Will It Be The New Maxi Scooter?
- Education Education Minister Virtual Meeting With State Education Secretaries On May 17, Check Highlights
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In May
Since the COVID-19 outbreak, researchers are in full swing to develop effective equipment to deal with the infection. From AI tool that predicts infected COVID-19 cases to virus-scanning tool for vaccine development, from the musical structure of COVID-19 to Bluetooth-based COVID-19 tracking tool, scientists are continuously making efforts to find a way to fight the pandemic.
Among these developments, a team of researchers from IIT Bombay have developed a 'digital stethoscope' for healthcare workers to protect themselves from contracting COVID-19. So, what exactly is it?
What Is Digital Stethoscope?
A digital stethoscope is a Bluetooth-based stethoscope which is capable of listening and recording heartbeats of a person from a distance, without any actual close contact. With the help of this device, a doctor or a medical expert can effortlessly hear the sound of a patient's chest without actually going near them.
How Does It Work?
The digital stethoscope is a device with a tube connected to two earpieces. The tube is meant for transmitting the auscultated sound from the patient's chest and earpieces to hear and examine the noise. The digital stethoscope magnifies the sound of the chest and transmits them wirelessly to a medical expert. It also stores them so that the follow-up doctors can take help from it for proper examination. The device is made in such a way that it eliminates all the background noises for proper diagnosis.
Another advantage of a digital stethoscope is that it translates the auscultated sound into an electrical signal and sends them to phonocardiogram or laptop via Bluetooth. To mention, phonocardiogram is a device that monitors the sound of the heart and represents them in the form of waves.
Why Is It Developed?
COVID-19 patients often experience symptoms such as shortness of breath and other respiratory distress syndromes. Usually, a medical expert goes near the patient to check the breathing with the help of a stethoscope and this increases the risk of COVID-19 infection as the virus spreads mainly through infected droplets like cough or sneeze.
The digital stethoscope will prevent the risk of infection to healthcare workers by allowing them to monitor the breathing and pulse from a safe distance.
More than 1000 digital stethoscopes are in use across the country. Till the vaccine for COVID-19 is developed, the best way to cope with the situation is by preventing it. Hope this new method will be helpful for healthcare workers who are working day and night putting their lives on the lines.