- 3 hrs ago Children Inherit Intelligence Mainly From Their Mothers: How Far Is It True?
- 5 hrs ago Single Foster Dad Adopts Five Children To Ensure They Stay United As A Family
- 6 hrs ago Indian Festival Of Holi In Germany: The Colourful Summer Party
- 8 hrs ago Guru Hargobind Singh Birth Anniversary 2022: Interesting Facts About The Sixth Guru Of The Sikhs
- Automobiles Hyundai Teases New N Concept & Ioniq 5 N Ahead Of July 15 Debut
- Technology Lava Blaze Pre-Orders To Debut On July 7 In India: Should You Book?
- Sports Wimbledon 2022: Elena Rybakina sets up Simona Halep semifinal with triumph over Ajla Tomljanovic
- News Indian language journalism played key role in freedom struggle, development journey: PM
- Movies Rhea Chakraborty To Make Her Acting Debut In Bengali Film Industry: Report
- Education TBSE 10th, 12th Result 2022 Declared At tbresults.tripura.gov.in, Check Tripura Madhyamik, HS Result
- Finance This Maharatna Stock Fixes Record Date For Final Dividend - Should You Buy?
- Travel Great Barrier Reef: Planet's Natural Ornaments
Muscle aches or myalgia is an extremely common problem that almost everybody has experienced in a lifetime. Most common causes of muscle pain are tension in the muscles, rigorous physical activity, infection, etc. and these can be extremely irritating and cause restrictions in your daily activities  . Stress, tension and excessive physical activity are a few common reasons for pain in the muscles. And in case, it persists for a long period of time, then it could be a warning sign of an underlying health issue.
There are some effective home remedies to relieve the muscle pain naturally. These age-old methods have been used by people across the globe and they've always proven to be highly effective. Moreover, these are safe to use and would not cause any damage to your health, unlike the over-the-counter pain killers  .
Read on to know about the natural methods that can provide instant relief from muscle pain.
Natural Remedies To Treat Muscle Pain
1. Epsom salt bath
A naturally occurring mineral, Epsom salt help reduce inflammation of the muscle tissues and relieves muscle pain. It also reduces muscle pains in chronic condition like fibromyalgia. For the bath add 1-2 cups of Epsom salt to a standard size bathtub filled with warm or hot water and relax in it for 15-30 minutes. The bath helps to relieve the muscle pains and cramps, relax the body and ease the stress  .
2. Apple cider vinegar
This is one of the most effective remedies to get instant relief from muscle pain. You can either add it to a glass of warm water and drink it, or rub it on the area with pain. The anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties of this natural ingredient can not only give you relief from the muscle pain but also prevent it from recurring  .
3. Cold compress
One of the best home remedies to relieve muscle pain, cold therapy or cold compress includes applying ice or cold to the injured site to get relief. It is often used to reduce muscle pains resulting from an acute sports injury. Applying an ice pack or cold to the injured site slows down the blood circulation of that part resulting in the reduction of pain and inflammation. It also reduces muscle spasm and internal bleeding that may follow muscle strain. Ice packs, ice massage, gel packs, chemical cold packs, vapo-coolant sprays are some of the ways through which you can get relief from muscle pain  .
4. Heat therapy
Used to treat sprains, strains, muscle spasms and muscle stiffness, heat therapy involves the application of hot packs on the area affected  . Avoid heat therapy in acute injuries as it may increase the swelling and cause discomfort. In other cases, it helps relieve muscle pain, reduces muscle spasm and relaxes the tense muscles.
5. Cayenne pepper
It contains capsaicin, which relieves pain caused by arthritis, joint and muscle pain and general muscles soreness. You can make your own paste by mixing 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper with one cup of olive or (warm) coconut oil. Apply the rub to the affected area, and wash your hands after application. Keep the rub away from your eyes, nose and mouth as it will cause irritation  .
6. Cherry juice
It help ease sore muscles after running or vigorous exercise. Antioxidants found in cherries called anthocyanins are believed to work by reducing inflammation. Try drinking tart cherry juice on workout days for less pain and inflammation  .
7. Essential oil
Possessing as anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, a massage with essential oil acts effectively in relieving muscle pains. The massage increases the blood circulation to the muscles giving warmth to it and also helps in dispersing the built up lactic acid whereas the oil relaxes the muscle and relieves the pain. Aroma of the essential oils helps in deep relaxation a natural healing of the body. Oils like pine, lavender, ginger and peppermint prove to be very useful in reducing muscle pain  .
Low levels of magnesium in the body can lead to general muscle aches and muscle cramps. Take a magnesium supplement. You can start by including foods that are high in magnesium in your diet. Some of the top food sources for magnesium are molasses, squash and pumpkin seeds (pepitas), spinach, swiss chard, cocoa powder, black beans, flax seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews  .
9. Herbal liniments
Certain herbs have anti-inflammatory and soothing action. Whereas herbal liniment (semi solid extract of herbs applied like a lotion, gel or balm) have the ability to penetrate the skin and tissues and help in healing. Herb like Arnica has always been used in sprains and muscular soreness whereas herb like St. John's wort has been used in relaxing muscle spasm. Devil's claw is an herb that acts as a natural pain killer and relieves muscular soreness and aches especially in lower back and neck. Lavender and Rose Mary are well known for their aromatherapy effects they are soothing when applied to the skin and they relax spasms and cramps on being absorbed in the muscles  .
-  Cailliet, R. (1964). Neck and arm pain (pp. 11-17). Philadelphia: FA Davis.
-  Hoffman, T. (2007). Ginger: an ancient remedy and modern miracle drug. Hawaii medical journal, 66(12), 326-327.
-  Riley III, J. L., Myers, C. D., Currie, T. P., Mayoral, O., Harris, R. G., Fisher, J. A., ... & Robinson, M. E. (2007). Self-care behaviors associated with myofascial temporomandibular disorder pain. Journal of orofacial pain, 21(3).
-  Seboe, P., Haller, D. M., Sommer, J. M., Excoffier, S., Gaboreau, Y., & Maisonneuve, H. (2018). General practitioners’ perspectives on the use of nonpharmacological home remedies in two regions in Switzerland and France. Swiss medical weekly, 148, w14676.
-  Kirubakaran, S., & Dongre, A. R. (2019). Chronic musculoskeletal pain among elderly in rural Tamil Nadu: Mixed-method study. Journal of family medicine and primary care, 8(1), 77.
-  Kim, K., Kuang, S., Song, Q., Gavin, T. P., & Roseguini, B. T. (2019). Impact of heat therapy on recovery following eccentric exercise in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology.
-  Ross, S. M. (2019). Natural Health Strategies for Pain Care, Part I: A Phytomedicine Compendium. Holistic nursing practice, 33(1), 60-65.
-  Sarabon, N., Löfler, S., Cvecka, J., Hübl, W., & Zampieri, S. (2018). Acute effect of different concentrations of cayenne pepper cataplasm on sensory-motor functions and serum levels of inflammation-related biomarkers in healthy subjects. European journal of translational myology, 28(1).
-  Wallace, C. (2018). U.S. Patent Application No. 15/637,610.
-  Razzaque, M. (2018). Magnesium: Are We Consuming Enough?. Nutrients, 10(12), 1863.
-  Frugone-Zambra, R., Brevis, D., Delgado, R., Frugone-Zaror, C., Gary, A., Martinolli, M., ... & Manfredini, D. (2018). Essential oils effect (ping-on) on temporalis muscle pain in patients with headaches attributed to temporomandibular disorders. International Journal of Medical Science and Clinical invention, 5(7), 3959-3965.
- disorders cureWhat Happens In Crush Syndrome? Know About Its Causes, Symptoms, Complications And Management
- disorders cureHeat Cramps: Is It A Serious Condition? Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Treatments And Prevention
- wellnessTry These Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Muscle Cramps
- nutrition10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds, Nutrition And Recipes
- skin careNatural Skincare For Summer: 7 Home Remedies To Get Healthy-Glowing Skin
- wellness14 Most Common Triggers Of Hiccups And Quick Tips To Get Rid Of 'Em
- hair careHow To Improve Your Hair Texture At Home: Home Remedies And Hair Masks
- wellness14 Safe And Effective Home Remedies For Ringworm Infection: Garlic, Tea Tree Oil, Salt And More
- disorders cureMonsoon Allergies: Types Of Common Allergies During The Season And Ways To Manage Them
- disorders cureEverything You Need To Know About Fever, Dengue Fever, Ebola, Chikungunya And Typhoid Fever
- prenatalMorning Sickness During Second Pregnancy: Effective Tips And Remedies
- wellness28 Best Foods To Lower Cholesterol