- 4 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 16 January 2021
- 14 hrs ago Ladies, Here Are 7 Reasons Why You Should Ask A Man Out
- 15 hrs ago Hina Khan’s Pretty White Lace Dress, Lovely Hat And Stylish Sunglasses Could Be Your Next Holiday Look
- 17 hrs ago Bigg Boss 14: Rubina Dilaik’s 4 Hairstyles From Recent Episodes That You Can Nail In Just 5 Minutes
- News 80% Indians ready to take vaccines, more than UK, US: Harsh Vardhan cites survey
- Finance NPS Partial Withdrawal Now Made Online Via Self Declaration
- Sports India vs Australia, 4th Test, Day 2: Natarajan, Sundar, Thakur bag three wickets to restrict Australia to 369
- Movies Happy Birthday Sidharth Malhotra: From Shershaah To Mission Majnu; We've Got Our Eyes On His Upcoming Films
- Technology Amazon Great Republic Days Sale: Discount Offers On Smartphones
- Education SSC CHSL Cut-off 2021 Tier 1 Released
- Automobiles Dakar Rally 2021 Final Stage Results & Highlights: Kevin Benavides Wins The Rally Race
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Madhya Pradesh In January
Having a healthy knees helps you stand upright without any support, run around and do your daily chores without any difficulty. But the moment you start having knee pain and your joints starts degenerating, it affects your mobility and your daily life severely.
So what is the way out to keep your knees healthy and pain-free? A new study, presented at the 103rd Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of Radiological Society of North America in Chicago, suggests that you should focus on a combination of a good diet, weight loss and regular exercise to slow down the degeneration of knee cartilage.
Exercise alone is not enough to keep the knees healthy, said the study.
The knee joint is a common site of osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease that affects more than a third of adults over the age of 60 and in many people, the condition progresses until total knee replacement becomes necessary.
"Once the cartilage is lost in osteoarthritis, the disease cannot be reversed," said lead author Alexandra Gersing, from the University of California-San Francisco.
Weight loss has been shown to slow down cartilage degeneration in overweight and obese individuals, but it was unclear if the method used to lose weight made a difference.
For the study, the team investigated cartilage degeneration and joint abnormalities over the course of 96 months in 380 overweight men and women.
The participants either had mild to moderate osteoarthritis or risk factors for the disease and were divided into a group of 380 patients who lost weight through diet and exercise, diet alone and exercise alone.
The results showed that cartilage degeneration was significantly lower among people who lost weight through diet and exercise or diet alone. Weight loss through exercise alone showed no significant difference in cartilage degeneration.
Meanwhile, check for these foods that helps to keep your knees stronger.
Turmeric is not just a spice but it is one of the best known home remedies. The curcumin compound contained in turmeric is known for its rich anti-inflammatory properties.
It helps in preventing knee pain. You could add turmeric to your regular food or have it as supplements by adding a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of warm milk.
Ginger is known for its rich antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Adding ginger in your diet helps in getting rid of knee pain.
Drinking ginger tea, about 2-3 cups on a regular basis or even applying ginger oil on the affected area helps in getting rid of knee pain. However, one should not overuse ginger as this could have certain side-effects too.
3. Fenugreek Seeds:
Take about two tablespoon of fenugreek seeds, soak it overnight. Strain the water and drink it in the morning. This helps in providing warmth to the knee joints and heal the pain quickly. You could also make a paste of fenugreek seeds and apply it on the affected area.
4. Sesame Seeds:
Sesame seeds are rich in essential minerals like copper. It also contains an important compound called sesamol which is widely known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Hence, consuming sesame seeds on a regular basis or massaging the knees with sesame oil helps in getting rid of knee pain and arthritis.
Onions are known for its anti-inflammatory properties. The photochemical contained in onion helps to stimulate the body's immunity and helps to fight against any kind of inflammation. In addition to this, onions also contain sulfur compounds that helps to reduce any kind of pain.
(With Agency Inputs)