Phlegm, or commonly called mucus, is often accompanied by cold or other respiratory infections caused by some allergens like dust or bacterial and viral infections. Phlegm is a thick fluid that can trap allergens and dust and it might worsen if you are sick or are exposed to dust particles.
The presence of phlegm is more noticeable when you are constantly coughing, having a running nose, clearing the throat or having a difficulty in breathing. If phlegm is not treated on time, it may clog and irritate the bronchial tubes.
Dealing with phlegm is often frustrating, as it irritates the mucus membranes of the nose, but to prevent excess mucus from forming, there are remedies to remove phlegm (mucus) at home.
To stop those invaders from attacking your body, these are some quick and effective home remedies that you could try to remove phlegm (mucus).
1. Salt Water
Salt water gargle is another easy method to treat phlegm because salt helps destroy the bacteria and warm water soothes the irritated throat.
- Add ¼th tablespoon of salt and mix it with warm water.
- Gargle the mixture and repeat this method several times in a day.
Turmeric has antiseptic properties that help to strengthen the immune system. The consumption of turmeric will help reduce phlegm by killing the bacteria that cause the mucus to be produced in the first place.
- Add a dash of turmeric to a glass of hot milk.
- Drink it twice a day, once in the morning and one at bedtime.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium that helps to get rid of runny nose. It also breaks up the mucus and relieves chronic sinusitis and prevents any allergic reactions.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Drink the concoction twice or thrice in a day till the mucus clears away.
Steam inhalation is one of the oldest and simplest methods to reduce phlegm. Inhaling the steam has proven to be the best way to clear the nasal passages.
- Pour hot boiling water in a large bowl and hold a towel over your head in a way so that no steam can escape from the sides.
- This proven method can be done several times during the day for 10 minutes.
Ginger has a plethora of medicinal properties and is a natural decongestant. Ginger has been used to fight off respiratory tract infections and also soothes the throat.
- Add fresh ginger slices to half a cup of hot water with a dash of honey and sip this tea thrice in a day.
Many dislike the smell of an onion, so it may sound strange that onion has healing properties, which help cure phlegm. However, onion also has antibacterial properties that treat cough and cold congestion.
- In a jar, add few onion slices and pour 1 cup of honey over it.
- Leave it aside overnight and consume 1 teaspoon of this syrup.
- Repeat this method four times in a day.
Ginseng is a herb which consists of antioxidant properties that help boost your body's immunity shield against bacteria and viruses.
- Boil the water and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of root shavings to the water and filter it in a cup.
- Drink the ginseng tea to treat cold.
8. Guava Tea
A guava a day keeps the doctor away. There is no better way to explain that guava provides a myriad of health benefits. This fruit is surely a powerhouse of all the nutrients from treating stomach problems to stabilizing the thyroid glands.
- In 1 cup of hot water, add crushed guava leaves.
- Strain it and drink this tea twice a day.
9. Licorice Root
Licorice root eases congestion by helping to loosen the mucus glands. Licorice root fights against the viruses and helps decrease the overproduction of mucus.
- Add 1 tbsp of licorice root into the boiling water.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the water in a tea cup and drink it.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and have wonderful antibacterial properties. Lemons are wonderful immunity boosters that help to combat infections.
- In a glass of warm water, add 2 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Drink this three times in a day.
- Add a spoon of lemon juice to your black tea with a dash of honey.
Honey has amazing medicinal properties that can treat ailments, including providing you a good relief from phlegm.
- Mix a spoon of honey to a glass of warm water and drink it.
Garlic is rich in vitamin C and consists of anti-inflammatory properties which are effective in treating cold and flu.
- Crush the garlic and extract its juice and dilute it with 10 parts of water.
- Use a nose dropper to apply it gently.
13. Diffuse Essential Oils
There are various kinds of essential oils that can be used for providing a relief from cough and cold. Eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, lavender oil, etc., are some of the essential oils that you can add in a diffuser.
The diffuser helps to break down the essential oils into tiny molecules, which is an effective process. When the essential oils are broken down, it improves the quality of air in the room that will help to fight sinus, cold and chest congestion.
- Add a few drops of the blended essential oils of your choice into a diffuser and allow them to waft through your room.
14. Black Elderberry
Elderberries contain chemical compounds called anthocyanidins which help boost the immune system. For the treatment of phlegm and sore throat, elderberry extract is efficient to use.
- Add water, elderberries, turmeric and cinnamon and boil it for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and strain it into a tea cup.
Pomegranate is considered to be an effective medicine since ancient times. The juice of the pomegranate cures fever, diarrhoea, phlegm and many other ailments because it is rich in antioxidants.
- Drink pomegranate juice daily for instant results or you can eat it as a fruit too.
READ NEXT :
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Rs 100 Coin To Be Introduced Soon — Check It Out
- New Maruti Wagon R 2019 Spy Pics — Looks Bigger And Premium Than The Current Model
- PUBG Mobile Vikendi Snow Map To Release In December
- Central Railway Recovers Whopping Rs 125 Crore From Errant Travellers
- Here's Why You Should Celebrate Christimas The 'Pondicherry Way'
- India vs Australia: 2nd — Aussies Ahead
- Woman Gets Engaged To A Chandelier And Gets A Tattoo Of It
- Alia Bhatt Reveals Why She Looked So Sad With Ranbir Kapoor!