- 4 hrs ago Children Inherit Intelligence Mainly From Their Mothers: How Far Is It True?
- 6 hrs ago Single Foster Dad Adopts Five Children To Ensure They Stay United As A Family
- 6 hrs ago Indian Festival Of Holi In Germany: The Colourful Summer Party
- 8 hrs ago Guru Hargobind Singh Birth Anniversary 2022: Interesting Facts About The Sixth Guru Of The Sikhs
- Movies Lock Upp Fame Payal Rohatgi Looks Resplendent In Pink Bandhani Suit At Her Mehndi Ceremony; SEE PICS
- News China reports new Omicron variant of COVID-19: Beijing makes vaccine proof mandatory for public
- Automobiles Hyundai Teases New N Concept & Ioniq 5 N Ahead Of July 15 Debut
- Technology Lava Blaze Pre-Orders To Debut On July 7 In India: Should You Book?
- Sports Wimbledon 2022: Elena Rybakina sets up Simona Halep semifinal with triumph over Ajla Tomljanovic
- Education TBSE 10th, 12th Result 2022 Declared At tbresults.tripura.gov.in, Check Tripura Madhyamik, HS Result
- Finance This Maharatna Stock Fixes Record Date For Final Dividend - Should You Buy?
- Travel Great Barrier Reef: Planet's Natural Ornaments
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a chronic condition characterized by pain, burning, and itching sensations in the mouth, with or without visible signs. BMS is a common condition that is also intriguing due to its multifactorial causes and diagnostic challenges.
BMS has a strong preference for middle-aged and elderly women. It could be caused by one or more of the following factors:
- Anxiety, stress, phobias, and depression are just a few of the mental health issues that can trigger BMS.
- Peripheral neuropathies/neurologic disorders.
- Gastric disorders and long-term illnesses (such as diabetes).
- Nutrional deficiencies.
- Hormonal imbalance and menopause.
- Immune system disorders (such as Sjogren's syndrome).
- Dry mouth (xerostomia).
- Medications taken for a long time.
- Allergy to mercury and amalgam (silver fillings), methyl methacrylate, cobalt chloride, zinc, and benzoyl peroxide, among other dental materials.
- Peanuts, chestnuts, cinnamon, and other foods may cause allergic reactions.
How does it feel?
- The pain may appear suddenly or develop after a period of stress, illness, or long-term medication.
- It could last anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months.
- When you wake up, you are never in pain! Throughout the day, the pain worsens, peaking in the afternoon and evening.
- A sore mouth (similar to a chronic mouth ulcer), mild burning, tingling, numbness, and itching are all present.
- As the mouth becomes dry, swallowing becomes difficult.
- Anxiety and irritability develop as a result.
- There is a change in flavor.
- It can occasionally be as painful as a toothache.
Take a look at the physiological changes that occur in BMS:
To be honest, the exact cause of BMS and how it progresses is still unknown. The tissues on the inside of the mouth are extremely sensitive to heat and touch. Under a microscope, the tissue was discovered to have an increased number of nerve fibres with an altered structure. The exact cause of these malformations is difficult to pin down.
When diagnosing BMS, keep the following in mind:
- In the majority of cases, BMS symptoms can be alleviated by eating and drinking.
- Sleep is unaffected by BMS.
- The burning sensation can be felt throughout the mouth.
- The sensations persisted for approximately 4-6 months without any change.
The following is a description of the treatment method:
A correct diagnosis is crucial in the treatment of BMS. Hence, schedule a visit with your primary care physician or a dentist.
The mouth must be thoroughly examined before considering any other causes:
- The ulcers (if any) in the mouth are treated with gels prescribed for sore mouth.
- Mucosal lesions: a mild steroid ointment therapy is prescribed for diseases like oral lichen planus, along with an oral hygiene regimen.
- For dry mouth, vitamin C lozenges and increased fluid intake are recommended.
If the mouth appears to be in good shape, the other factors are considered:
- People take vitamin B complex, vitamin D, and zinc supplements orally to treat nutritional deficiency.
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can be used to treat the symptoms of menopause and hormonal fluctuations.
- Possible use of alternative medicines to counteract the effects of the ongoing medications.
Nerve injury, Parkinson's disease, and psychiatric disorders necessitate both neurologist-prescribed medication and psychiatric counselling.
BMS is a difficult condition to understand. It demands a multidisciplinary approach for diagnosis and treatment planning. The treatment options are largely empirical, which can be frustrating for both doctors and patients. Some patients recover with only minor lifestyle changes, while others require multiple therapy changes to see results.
- oral careExpert Article: Pericoronitis, An Unfamiliar But Agonizing Dental Issue
- oral careExpert Article: Gaps Between Teeth? Make Flossing And Proxa Brushing A Daily Habit
- oral careExpert Article: Is Protein Powder Affecting Your Gums?
- oral careExpert Article: Say Goodbye To Yellow Teeth With Teeth Whitening
- oral careExpert Article: Teeth Aligners Promise Much More Than A Bollywood Smile!
- oral careExpert Article: What Are Tooth Implants? When And Why You Should Get Them
- oral careExpert Article: Teeth Cleaning And Polishing - Myths And Facts
- oral care8 Best Natural Remedies To Treat Receding Gums
- wellness5 Common Health Issues You Should Not Neglect
- wellness5 Ways To Keep Your Teeth Healthy For Long
- wellnessHere Are The 8 Foods You Can Eat With Braces On Your Teeth
- nutrition10 Health Benefits Of Licorice Root