- 2 hrs ago Erythritol: Health Benefits And Side Effects
- 3 hrs ago International Men's Day 2019: Things You Can Do To Make Your Man Feel Special
- 3 hrs ago This Winter Season, Keep Your Nail Game Strong With These Superb Trending Colours
- 4 hrs ago Aamir Khan's Laal Singh Chaddha Look Is So In Tune With The Fashion Sensibilities Of A Common Man
- Sports Exclusive: Ultimate League will revolutionise Kho Kho the way PKL transformed Kabaddi, says KKFI Gen Secy
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 - Shehnaaz reveals she wants to make an addictive game like PUBG
- News NCP chief Sharad Pawar briefs media on political situation in Maharashtra
- Technology Samsung Galaxy A80 With 256GB Storage Variant Spotted On TENAA
- Automobiles Land Rover Off-Road Driving Experience: The "Above & Beyond Tour 2019’ Comes To Bangalore
- Travel Igatpuri – A Perfect Travel Destination
- Finance HDFC Bank Cuts FD Interest Rates By As Much As 0.15%
- Education JEE Main 2020 Sample Question Paper With Solution For Numerical Value Section
Most of you know about the guava fruit and the health benefits that it possesses. But, many of you aren't aware of the health benefits of guava leaves. Guava leaves possess medicinal properties and offer an array of health benefits.
Guava leaves are rich in antioxidants and tannins. They also possess anti-inflammatory properties and antibacterial properties. Guava leaves, when brewed to make tea, release vitamin C and flavonoids like quercetin, which are important for maintaining good health. Guava leaves are also considered to be a natural pain reliever.
Health Benefits Of Guava Leaves
1. Treat diarrhoea
If you are suffering from diarrhoea, drinking guava leaf tea, taking guava leaf extract capsule, or adding a few drops of the essential oil to a cup of warm water can aid in treating diarrhoea. According to a study, guava leaves possess antidiarrhoeal properties  .
2. Fight obesity
Guava leaf extract can help in losing weight because it stops complex starches from converting into sugars. Weight gain occurs when the sugar is metabolized by the liver and gets converted into fat, which is then secreted into the blood  .
3. Lower cholesterol
According to a study published in the journal Nutrition and Metabolism, taking guava leaf extract for months can aid in lowering bad cholesterol and triglycerides without causing any side effects  .
4. Prevent cancer
Guava leaves are rich in lycopene, which has cancer-fighting properties and can fight breast cancer, prostate cancer, and oral cancer. According to a study, the leaves have the ability to stop the production of androgen, a male hormone which is responsible for the growth of cancerous cells in some types of prostate cancer  .
Another potent ability of guava leaf extract is that it can treat patients with gastric cancer. Guava leaves contain quercetin, lycopene, and vitamin C which have anticancer and antitumour properties. They work by neutralizing the free radical damage in the body.
A study published in the Journal Cancer Letters showed that, guava essential oil could slow down cancer activity in patients with stomach cancer, due to its rich concentration of tannins, aromandreno, triterpenoids, nerolidol, caryophyllene, beta bisabolene, and p-selinene  .
5. Control diabetes
Drinking guava leaf tea is considered to be useful for diabetic patients. According to a study published in the journal Nutrition and Metabolism, guava leaf extract can prevent the development of type 2 diabetes  .
6. Treat gum disease
The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of guava leaves protect the teeth and gums from inflammation and tooth and gum problems, according to a study published in the journal, Pharmacognosy Review  .
7. Cure dengue
A person suffering from dengue fever has low blood count, so the intake of guava leaves is considered to be a good way to increase platelets, thus helping to avoid bleeding, according to a study published in the Journal of Natural Medicines  .
8. Enhance skin and hair health
Guava leaves are good for your skin because they can help to get rid of acne, lighten dark spots and eliminate wrinkles. The leaves are also beneficial for hair growth.
How To Make Guava Leaf Tea
- 6 guava leaves
- 1 litre of water
- Wash the leaves properly under running water.
- Boil the leaves in 1 litre of water for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the water, add a dash of honey for sweetness.
- Enjoy the tea!
-  Ojewole, J. A., Awe, E. O., & Chiwororo, W. D. (2008). Antidiarrhoeal activity of Psidium guajava Linn.(Myrtaceae) leaf aqueous extract in rodents.Journal of Smooth Muscle Research,44(6), 195-207.
-  Yoshitomi, H., Guo, X., Liu, T., & Gao, M. (2012). Guava leaf extracts alleviate fatty liver via expression of adiponectin receptors in SHRSP. Z-Leprfa/Izm rats.Nutrition & metabolism,9(1), 13.
-  Deguchi, Y., & Miyazaki, K. (2010). Anti-hyperglycemic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects of guava leaf extract.Nutrition & metabolism,7, 9.
-  Yang, W. M., Kim, M. H., Park, S. Y., Ahn, K. S., & Lee, S. G. (2012). Abstract B48: Anticancer effect of guava leaves (Psidium guajava L.) in prostate cancer cells.Cancer Prevention Research,5(11 Supplement), B48-B48.
-  Manosroi, J., Dhumtanom, P., & Manosroi, A. (2006). Anti-proliferative activity of essential oil extracted from Thai medicinal plants on KB and P388 cell lines.Cancer letters,235(1), 114-120.
-  Deguchi, Y., & Miyazaki, K. (2010). Anti-hyperglycemic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects of guava leaf extract.Nutrition & metabolism,7(1), 9.
-  Ravi, K., & Divyashree, P. (2014). Psidium guajava: A review on its potential as an adjunct in treating periodontal disease.Pharmacognosy reviews,8(16), 96–100.
-  Abd Kadir, S. L., Yaakob, H., & Mohamed Zulkifli, R. (2013). Potential anti-dengue medicinal plants: a review.Journal of natural medicines,67(4), 677–689.