- 4 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 24 May 2022: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 19 hrs ago What Are Empty Calories? Major Sources, Disadvantages And How To Replace Them
- 20 hrs ago Omicron Subvariants BA.4 And BA.5 In India: What You Need To Know
- 20 hrs ago First Death Of A Child Reported In Mexico Due To Mysterious Severe Hepatitis: Things To Know
- News DD’s FreeDish gets more diverse with Masterchef Sanjeev Kapoor dedicating recipes
- Technology Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max Price Drop Alert: Available With Rs. 21,000 Discount And A Catch
- Finance Adani Power Stock Hits An All-Time High With A Massive Return
- Movies Sarkaru Vaari Paata Day 12 Box Office Collection: Mahesh Babu's Film Slows Down At The Box Office
- Sports Racing Along The Singalong Track in Chennai
- Travel GlampEco - Glamping At India's First Geodesic Dome Stay
- Education NABARD AM Prelims Mains 2021 Cut Off Marks, Check NABARD Assistant Manager RDBS Rajbhasha Cut Off Details Here
- Automobiles KTM RC 390 Launched At Rs 3.14 Lakhs
A cerebral aneurysm is known by many names such as brain aneurysm and intracranial aneurysm. Aneurysm in the brain is defined as dilations (widening) that occur at weak sites in the arterial circulation or say, walls of the blood vessels of the brain. It is often identified as ballooning or bulging of the blood vessels. 
The majority of brain aneurysms are silent and are only diagnosed by chance during neuroimaging or autopsy.
The condition often leads to expansion, thinning and rupturing of the blood vessels, known as subarachnoid haemorrhage. The haemorrhage results in haemorrhagic stroke or bleeding inside the brain, which is associated with a high risk of morbidity and mortality.
According to the recent news reports, the Chinese President Xi Jinping has a 'cerebral aneurysm' and was hospitalised in 2021 due to his declining condition. 
Here's all about a cerebral aneurysm in detail. Take a look.
Types Of Cerebral Aneurysm
There are three types of cerebral aneurysm:
1. Saccular aneurysm: It is one of the common forms of cerebral aneurysm and is characterised as a round sac filled with blood and attached to the main artery.
2. Fusiform aneurysm: It is characterised as a ballon or a bulge from all sides of the artery.
3. Mycotic aneurysm: It resembles a fleshy fungus as it occurs mainly as a result of infection. 
Causes Of Cerebral Aneurysm
When the walls of the arteries in the brain become thin and fragile, cerebral aneurysms occur. The weakening may occur at any age and due to multiple factors. Some of the factors that may lead to the development of the condition are:
- Genetic diseases like alpha-glucosidase deficiency, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Fibromuscular dysplasia, Polycystic kidney disease (PCKD) and Klinefelter syndrome. 
- Untreated heart diseases like blood pressure and atherosclerosis.
- Chronic alcohol consumption.
- Chronic use of illicit drugs like cocaine
- Chronic cigarette smoking. 
- Brain tumour
- Infection in the blood vessels of the brain (mycotic aneurysm).
- Head trauma.
- Chronic diseases like diabetes. 
Symptoms Of Cerebral Aneurysm
Some of the symptoms of a cerebral aneurysm (unruptured) may include:
- Change in vision
- Eye pain
Symptoms due to rupture of the aneurysm may include:
- Thunderclap headache or sudden and painful headache. 
- Stiffness in the neck.
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of coordination. 
- Dysfunction of ears, nose, eyes or tongue
- Photophobia or sensitivity to light.
- Dilated pupils.
Risk Factors Of Cerebral Aneurysm
Not all brain aneurysms result in haemorrhagic stroke. Some of the factors that may lead to rupture of the aneurysm are:
- Family history of aneurysm.
- The large size of aneurysms (between 11 to 25 mm or more).
- Age over 40. 
- Aneurysms located mainly in the front and back of the brain compared to those at other locations.
- Aneurysms which have a tendency to grow at an increased rate.
- People have high blood pressure.
Complications Of Cerebral Aneurysm
Some of the complications of a cerebral aneurysm may include:
- Permanent brain damage.
- Sudden death
Diagnosis Of Cerebral Aneurysm
In most cases, unruptured brain aneurysms are diagnosed incidentally during neuroimaging. Some of these methods are:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): It helps view changes in the brain tissues.
- Cerebral angiography: To detect problems in the blood vessels. 
- Computed tomography scan (CT scan): To identify the location of the aneurysms and whether it has burst.
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis: To detect bleeding around the brain.
Treatments Of Cerebral Aneurysm
Some of the treatment methods for cerebral aneurysms may include:
- Microsurgical clipping (MSC): It helps prevent the blood leak inside the brain and blocks it using a metal clip. 
- Platinum coil embolization: It is less invasive than MSC. here, coils are used to block the aneurysms and prevent blood leaks inside the brain.
- Medications: It includes medications like anticonvulsants.
A cerebral aneurysm is a life-threatening condition; around 25 per cent of people who has a ruptured brain aneurysm do not survive the first 24 hours, and another 25 per cent dies from complications within six months. Subarachnoid haemorrhage can cause lasting neurological damage in certain people. This makes early diagnosis and treatment of a brain aneurysm important to improve the chances of a full recovery. 
- disorders cureMusk's Neuralink Rival Synchron Has Begun Human Trial Of Its Brain-Computer Interface Stentrode In The US
- wellness10 Herbs And Spices That May Help Reduce The Risk Of Dementia
- wellnessNovel Brain Fear Mechanisms Discovered, Offers Target For Anxiety-Reducing Drugs; Study
- disorders cureWhat Is Anomic Aphasia, A Speech Problem Causing Trouble In Naming Objects? Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
- disorders cureNational Epilepsy Day 2021: What Is Status Epilepticus? Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatments
- disorders cureWhat Is Havana Syndrome? Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
- nutrition10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Red Bananas
- healthIschemic Stroke Patient Saved By Combination Of Three Complicated Medical Procedures
- wellness20 Home Remedies To Treat Nerve Weakness, According To Experts
- disorders cureWorld Alzheimer’s Day 2021: Everything You Need To Know About Alzheimer's Disease
- wellnessCan Coronavirus Cause Damage to The Central Nervous System?
- wellnessBrain And Exercise: 9 Ways In Which Exercise Benefits Our Brain