Present-day world is witnessing new types of diseases every day. Some are common, while some are not. People are becoming increasingly vulnerable to common allergies or conditions such as blood pressure, diabetes, etc., due to stress, pollution, hectic lifestyle and a poor diet.
Our body requires the right amount of all the nutrient groups on a daily basis to function properly.
This can happen only when people follow a strict diet of eating healthy food and including various fruits and vegetables every day. But alas, today's generation does not have time to even eat a proper meal.
They end up eating outside food, which is usually fried and chemically enhanced for flavour. At home as well, with busy working women not having time to prepare fresh meals, they end up ordering or binging on ready-to-eat options.
These choices leave their bodies malnourished. When our body is not getting the required nutrients, its immunity system weakens and makes it susceptible to catching illnesses.
Women's bodies need more nutrients than a man on average because of all the changes it goes through during puberty or pregnancy. The most common deficiency that women suffer from is iron deficiency mostly because of the blood loss during the monthly cycle.
A woman is said to be anaemic when the body's red blood cell count is less than normal. Red blood cells contain haemoglobin, an iron-based protein that helps the blood cells carry oxygen.
When you are anaemic, your blood can't deliver the proper oxygen supply to your organs and tissues. Symptoms may include fatigue, pale skin, headache, cold hands and feet, etc.
Though your physician may prescribe iron supplements, they do not suit all. Heavy haemoglobin supplements may cause indigestion, bloating and/or constipation. But, don't worry. Nature has a cure to all our ailments. For anaemia, its sesame seeds.
Sesame seeds, especially, black sesame seeds are rich in iron. 1/4th cup of these seeds provide 30% of the daily iron requirement. They are primary sources of phytonutrients such as omega-6 fatty acids, flavonoid phenolic antioxidants, vitamins, and dietary fibre with potential anti-cancerous as well as health-promoting properties.
Here are some useful tips to include sesame seeds in your diet.
1) Sesame Seeds Paste:
This homemade remedy has proven to be effective in treating anaemia. It is easy to digest and the nutrients in the paste form tend to get absorbed faster into the system.
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Water to soak the sesame seeds.
1) Soak the sesame seeds in water for two hours.
2) Strain the seeds and crush them in a mortar-pestle to make a paste.
3) Add honey to the mixture and mix well.
4) Consume this mixture twice a day for fast results.
2) Sesame Flavoured Milk:
As black sesame seeds are more potent than regular sesame seeds, this is another effective recipe to treat anaemia.
- 1 teaspoon of black sesame seed paste.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 cup warm water
1) Soak the sesame seeds in warm water for two hours.
2) Grind them to a paste.
3) Now, strain the liquid out of the paste and mix it with milk.
4) Add honey to this.
5) Have this milk daily.
Along with the above-mentioned remedies to treat anaemia, here are a few things you can do to prevent it altogether.
- Consuming folic-rich foods like green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, etc., can help.
- Increasing your Vitamin C intake can also prevent anaemia. Include foods like lemons, oranges, tomatoes, etc.
- Avoid caffeinated and aerated drinks because they are known to prevent the absorption of iron in the body.
After all, prevention is better than cure!
- From Curing Diabetes To Detox, Here Are 15 Medicinal Benefits Of Jackfruit
- World Blood Donor Day 2018: Benefits Of Spinach, Banana, And Date Smoothie For Boosting Iron
- 9 Dangerous Symptoms Of Leukemia (Blood Cancer) In Children (International Childhood Cancer Day)
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Anaemia
- 10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Hemp Seeds
- 10 Mind-blowing Health Benefits Of Jackfruit Seeds