- 24 min ago How Zodiac Signs React Differently When They Hate Someone
- 3 hrs ago Kerala's Athirappilly Forest Region Reports Outbreak Of Anthrax
- 3 hrs ago Covid-19 Vaccine Protects People Of All Sizes: Lancet Study
- 3 hrs ago Doctors' Day 2022: Facts About Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy, On Whose Behalf India Celebrates National Doctors' Day
- Education CMI Result 2022 Declared for B.Sc Courses: Check Scorecard, Cut Off & Merit List at www.cmi.ac.in
- Travel The Spanish Badlands: Baddest Of The Badlands
- Sports Qatar 2022 World Cup to implement semi-automated offside VAR
- News Spread of Radicalisation in Rajasthan linked to the rise in foreign funded Mosques at Pakistan border
- Automobiles MG Motor June 2022 Sales - Y-o-Y Growth Of 26.56%
- Movies Gauahar Khan Reveals She Lost Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire Due To Her Good Looks; Read Statement
- Finance SBI's gold loan portfolio crosses, Rs 1 lakh crore-mark
- Technology Flipkart Big Bachat Dhamaal Sale: Discounts On Earbuds, Smartwatches, And Other Electronics Accessories
May is designated as Hepatitis Awareness Month in the US, and May 19th is Hepatitis Testing Day. During the month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and its public health partners work towards raising awareness of viral hepatitis and encourage its testing and vaccination to lower the risk of epidemics related to the condition.
Diabetes and hepatitis C infection are both common disorders that are linked to higher morbidity and mortality rates. A study says that people with chronic hepatitis (C or B) are more likely to acquire type 2 diabetes (T2D) compared to healthy individuals. 
Here we will discuss the association between hepatitis and diabetes. Take a look.
Diabetes And Hepatitis C
Diabetes and hepatitis C are both common disorders around the world. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 170 million people worldwide are chronically infected with the hepatitis C virus (HCV), and 347 million have diabetes mellitus (DM).
Though the infection rates of HCV are declining, complications due to the condition continue to rise. According to the study, more than a third of patients with chronic HCV infection are likely to experience at least one extrahepatic (occurring outside the liver) symptom. 
Many studies also talk about diabetes as a predisposing factor for the development of hepatitis C infection.
Insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes are some of the common complications of hepatitis C. The infection may lead to several autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, including an increased risk of type 1 diabetes, mainly because of treatment methods like interferon-alpha (IFN alpha) that tend to affect the immunity of the patients. 
Some of the risk factors for the development of diabetes in HCV patients are:
- Age over 40 years 
- Longer duration of hepatitis C.
- Male gender 
- High body weight
- Family history of diabetes
- Chronic liver diseases like cirrhosis. 
Diabetes And Hepatitis B
Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is a life-threatening infection that increases the risk of mortality, mainly due to cirrhosis and liver cancer death. Many studies have established a link between HBV infection and the prevalence of diabetes, but these findings are controversial. 
A study has shown that though patients with hepatitis B virus are at an increased risk of developing diabetes compared to those without the infection, HBV alone cannot be a potential risk factor for diabetes. Other factors like liver damage, higher inflammation, pancreatic damage and insulin resistance can be associated with the development of hepatitis B and diabetes.
Another study links diabetes with an increased risk of hepatitis B infection. It says that diabetics have a higher prevalence of hepatitis B infection and, thus, screening, treatment and management of diabetes is essential as it may lead to conditions like liver fibrosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), also known as liver cancer. 
Screening for hepatitis virus in high-risk individuals like diabetics is important to reduce complications linked to hepatitis. Also, if you are a diabetic, make ways to effectively manage your condition and look out for any signs such as stomach pain and weight loss that may indicate liver damage and consult a medical expert.
- wellnessFirst Death Of A Child Reported In Mexico Due To Mysterious Severe Hepatitis: Things To Know
- kidsExplained: The Pathogen That Could Be Causing Hepatitis Outbreak In Kids
- kidsExpert Opinion: Hepatitis Cases On The Rise Among UK Children – Could COVID Have A Role To Play?
- wellness8 Ways To Live A Quality Life With Hepatitis
- disorders cureWorld Hepatitis Day 2021: What Is Hepatitis? Everything You Need To Know About This Condition
- wellnessWorld Hepatitis Day 2021: Healthy Diet For Hepatitis B Patients
- wellnessWorld Hepatitis Day 2021: FAQs On Viral Hepatitis
- wellnessWorld Hepatitis Day 2021: Oral Piercing Could Lead To Endocarditis, Hepatitis And Other Serious Infections?
- disorders cureWorld Hepatitis Day: Facts About Viral Hepatitis
- disorders cureWorld Hepatitis Day 2019: Theme, Significance And Goals
- newsResearch Finds The Reason For Spike In HIV & Hepatitis C
- newsCoffee Helps Reduce Mortality Risk In HIV & Hepatitis C Patients; 5 Other Ways To Prevent HIV