Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You need to have a filling breakfast so that you do not crave extra calories for the rest of the day. However, that does not mean you are still going to lose weight if you have fried eggs and bread with loads of butter for breakfast. Filling does not mean rich in calories. Dalia upma is thus a very healthy dish to start your day with.
Dalia upma recipe is a very easy one. It is not going to be very difficult for you make if you know how to make dalia. All you have to do to make dalia upma is replace the sooji in the recipe with broken wheat. And you have a bowl full of low calorie breakfast in the morning. Most Indian breakfast recipes are not very healthy. Puris and parathas are not ideal foods for people who are lose a few pounds.
So if you are looking for breakfast recipes for weight loss, then try dalia upma for sure.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Broken wheat or dalia- 1 cup
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 4-5
- Green chillies- 2 (chopped)
- Capsicum- 2tbsp (chopped)
- Tomato- ½ (chopped)
- Peas- ½ cup (optional)
- Onion- ½ (chopped)
- Coriander leaves- 2 stalks (chopped)
- Turmeric- ½ tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Add oil to a deep bottomed pan and allow it to get hot. Then add the mustard seeds and green chillies to the pan.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the onions. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes.
- When the onions turn brown, add the vegetables namely capsicum, tomatoes and peas. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the pan and mix it up with the vegetables nicely.
- Add the dalia or broken wheat now. Unlike sooji, dalia needs some time to cook.
- Add 2 cups of water and keep stirring the upma. You can add the coriander leaves now.
- Keep stirring until the upma achieves the right consistency.
Now you can serve the dalia upma for breakfast. You can also carry it in a lunch box for having a healthy office lunch.