Our skin is the largest organ in our body, performing many functions. The most important of it is to protect the inner organs from any damage caused by the elements.
The pollution levels are increasing day-by-day and it is causing a lot of health risks for the people around. Due to global warming, temperatures are rising and the harmful rays of the sun do damage our skin.
Our skin is very delicate and needs to be protected from the sun. If not, it gets damaged. The sun's rays, pollution and the dust particles all contribute to dull, lifeless and sensitive skin. Sometimes, when the skin just can't take it anymore, it just turns red and you experience a burning sensation.
This burning sensation is caused by the inflammation of the skin. It does it to protect further damage to itself. Sometimes, the damage is mild. But sometimes, it becomes so severe that you just cannot ignore the burning sensation.
Our skin is said to be inflamed when it turns red and you experience uncontrolled itchiness, swelling and pain. The reasons behind skin inflammation can be many, such as,
1) Prolonged exposure to the sun
When you are outside for a long period and you do not use a sunscreen, your skin will try to protect itself through inflammation.
Dust allergies are very common nowadays. Your skin will turn red and itchy if it encounters something it cannot tolerate.
3) Insect bite or sting
Few insects inject a substance which is so strong that it irritates the human skin. The inflammation on our skin can be due to this reason too.
4) Irritation from plants and herbs
Certain chemicals in plants may also cause allergic reaction to our skin. Plant extracts and other plant products should be used in safe, diluted forms to reduce the chances of skin irritation.
5) Skin diseases
Certain skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis can also cause irritation and burning sensation.
Any of these reasons can cause skin inflammation, redness and itching sensation. Sometimes when that becomes unbearable, you cannot help but try to find a way to reduce the itchiness.
Here are a few remedies which will help you reduce the itchiness and burning sensation for good and that too naturally.
1) Aloe Vera:
When we talk about redness and inflammation, what better way to treat it than aloe vera? This plant is known to have amazing anti-inflammatory properties that will instantly cool and soothe the skin.
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
1) Rub some pure aloe vera gel directly on to the affected area and massage gently.
2) Repeat several times in a day till the symptoms subside.
2) Lemon Juice:
Lemons are cooling and are a great astringent, which will instantly calm the skin and reduce redness.
- 1 lemon
- A clean handkerchief
1) Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into a clean bowl.
2) Dip the cloth into it and spread it on the affected area.
Oatmeal is very soothing and it can provide an instant relief from dryness and itchy skin. It will also reduce the swelling to a great extent.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 cups of water
1) Soak the oatmeal in two cups of water.
2) Rub this paste onto the affected area after a bath till redness and itchiness subside.
Turmeric has amazing antibacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredients. It will kill any infection-causing bacteria and reduce its affects.
- 1-inch turmeric root
- 1 tablespoon water
1) Grate the turmeric root and mix it with water to make a paste.
2) Apply this mixture onto the affected area and keep it on for 15 minutes before washing it off.
5) Chamomile Tea:
This tea is a great anti-fungal agent that instantly relieves any irritation from the infection. It instantly relieves burning sensation and reduces redness.
- 1 chamomile tea bag
- 1 cup of hot water
- A piece of clean cloth
1) Prepare the chamomile tea in hot water and let it cool.
2) Soak a piece of clean cloth in it and apply it onto the affected area.
6) Apple Cider Vinegar:
The acids present in the apple cider vinegar neutralise the burning sensation and reduce redness and itching sensation.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- A piece of clean cloth
1) Dilute the apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
2) Soak the cloth in the solution and cover the affected area with it.
7) Lavender Essential Oil:
The cooling properties of lavender make it perfect for soothing an irritated skin. Its anti-septic properties help the skin heal faster.
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
1) Mix the lavender essential oil along with the olive oil.
2) Massage this mixture evenly onto the affected area.
8) Calendula Essential Oil:
Calendula oil is highly anti-bacterial in nature. It will also calm down inflammation and redness.
- 3-4 drops of essential oil
- A glass of water
- A clean cloth
1) Boil the glass of water in a saucepan.
2) Add the calendula essential oil.
3) Dip the cloth in this mixture and apply it onto the affected area. Repeat several times.
9) Sandalwood Powder:
Sandalwood powder is extremely cooling. It will instantly relieve the skin of any redness and itchiness. Mixing it with an astringent like rose water will work wonders for sunburnt skin
- 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder
- 2 tablespoons of rose water
1) Mix both the ingredients together to make a paste.
2) Apply this onto the affected area until dry.
3) Wash off with cold water.
10) Bitter Gourd:
It may be bitter in taste, but bitter gourd has many medicinal properties. It will reduce itchiness and give the skin a cooling feel.
-1/2 a bitter gourd cut in pieces
1) Boil the bitter gourd pieces in water for some time until the pieces become soft.
2) Remove them and blend in a jar.
3) Apply this paste onto the skin for 20 minutes and wash off.
Cinnamon is known for its healing properties. If applied on redness and rashes, it will kill any infection-causing bacteria and promote faster healing.
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1) Mix both the ingredients in a bowl to form a smooth paste.
2) Apply this mixture onto the affected area and let it stay there for 15 minutes.
3) Wash off with water.
12) Tomato Puree:
Tomatoes are rich in oxalic acid which neutralise the burning sensation instantly. It will also reduce inflammation and redness.
- 1 ripe tomato
1) Blend the tomato in a blender.
2) Apply this paste onto the affected area.
13) Henna Leaves:
Henna leaves are known to reduce the temperature of the body. They will calm the skin too.
- A bunch of dry henna leaves
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
1) Grind the dry henna leaves to make a fine powder.
2) Mix it with some water to make a paste.
3) Apply some coconut oil to the affected area before applying the henna mixture, as this will prevent staining.
4) Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off.
14) Basil Leaves
Basil is a holy plant containing many medicinal properties. It will soothe the skin and reduce inflammation of the skin.
- 1 bunch of dry basil leaves
- Some water
1) Grind the dry leaves into a fine powder.
2) Make a thick paste along with water and apply it onto the affected area.
3) Let it dry before washing it off.
It is the best remedy to treat redness and inflammation. Rubbing a cube of ice to the affected area will bring down inflammation and reduce redness. It is fast, simple and very effective. Make sure to be careful while using ice for prolonged period though.
- 1 ice cube
- A clean cloth
1) Wrap the ice cube in a clean cloth and rub it onto the affected area until the ice melts. You can do this several times in a day to reduce redness and swelling.
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Dailyhunt Trust Of The Nation Poll: Can 'Modi Wave' Help BJP Retain Power?
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 confirmed to have 10GB RAM and 5G support
- Thrilling Activities To Do In Bangalore
- 7 Health Benefits Of Pineberries
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai 20 Years Celebrations! View Pictures
- KTM 125 Duke Bookings Open In India — Launch Soon
- Top 6 Government Jobs 2018 On Oct 17