All of us have to fight certain battles every day. We also have to constantly struggle with maintaining our hair. Our hair tends to have a mind of its own and it becomes difficult to tame it.
Like our skin, our hair also is differentiated into dry and oily. If your hair appears greasy and shiny without you applying oil, then your hair type is said to be oily.
We all like our hair freshly washed and shampooed. But we cannot wash our hair every day. Even an oily scalp cannot be washed every day as it will strip the hair and scalp of its protective oils and damage it.
Hair becomes oily when there is excess of sebum production on the scalp. This sebum acts as a protective layer for the hair follicles and prevents them from damage due to heat and pollution.
But when there is excess of it, the hair becomes oily and clumps together.
The result is dandruff and also fungal infection in monsoon because of the combination of oil and water on the scalp.
Excess oil production on the scalp can be due to many reasons like stress, hormonal imbalance, too much oily food in the diet, etc. Most of us think the solution to this problem lies in washing the hair every day.
But expert trichologists recommend that hair should be washed not more than once in three days as excessive washing will damage the hair follicles and strip the hair and scalp of its natural and healthy oils.
Here is a list of ingredients you can find in the kitchen, which will help keep your greasy scalp and hair, fresh and clean.
Baking soda has been long known to be oil-absorbing and alkaline in nature, which makes it great for oily hair.
-3 tablespoons baking soda
-1 cup of water
1) Mix the baking soda and water to make a thick paste.
2) Apply this to the damp hair and keep on for 10 minutes.
3) Wash off with warm water. Use this remedy once a week.
Lemon juice has been a solution for most of the hair and skin problems because of its vitamin and mineral content. Also, its acidic nature will help alkalize the scalp and prevent excess sebum production.
-2 cups of water
1) Mix the juice of two lemons with two cups of water.
2) Massage this onto the scalp and hair and leave on for 5 minutes.
3) Wash off with lukewarm water and repeat it twice a week.
Eggs whites are great for conditioning your hair and to combat oily scalp.
-3 egg whites
1) Whisk the egg whites in a bowl.
2) Apply this on to the damp hair and leave on for 15-20 minutes.
3) Wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat twice a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is another ingredient which will help you fight excess oil production on the scalp because of its acidic nature.
-Half a cup of apple cider vinegar
Dilute the apple cider vinegar in a jug of water and use it to give a last rinse to your hair after shampooing. Never directly apply concentrated apple cider vinegar as it will only damage the hair shaft.
Tea contains an astringent called tannic acid which will reduce the production of extra oil on the scalp.
-2 tablespoons of tea leaves
-1 cup of water
1) Boil the tea leaves in the water and strain the liquid.
2) Bring it to room temperature.
3) Pour this on to the scalp and leave on for 5 minutes.
4) Wash off with a mild shampoo.
Aloe vera contains enzymes which will detoxify the scalp, remove impurities and control the oil-secretion. Plus, the vitamins and minerals present will soothe your scalp of any itchiness and keep your hair healthy.
-1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
1) Mix both the above ingredients in a bowl.
2) Apply this mixture on to damp hair and leave it on for 15 minutes.
3) Rinse off with warm water.
Alcohol has a drying effect on our skin and hair, thereby reducing greasiness on the scalp.
-1 cup of beer
1) Dilute the beer in three cups of water and use it as a last rinse after shampooing your hair.
This ingredient is not known to many but it is as effective in treating oily scalp as the others mentioned previously. Its astringent properties are perfect to remove excess oil.
-A handful of mint leaves
-A glass of water
1) Boil the mint leaves in the water for 15 minutes.
2) Strain the mixture and leave it to cool down.
3) Mix it along with your regular shampoo and apply to the hair.
4) Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse.
This is another perfect remedy for greasy scalp. Because of its texture, it will effectively absorb the excess oil in the scalp.
-5-6 tablespoons of oatmeal
-A cup of water
1) Prepare the oatmeal with the water and let the mixture cool down.
2) Apply this paste onto the scalp and leave on for 10 minutes.
3) Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat twice a week.
Snake Gourd Juice
Snake gourd juice is a good remedy to prevent dandruff and scalp infections.
- Snake gourd juice
-Fresh beetroot juice.
1) Mix both the ingredients together.
2) Apply on to the scalp and leave on for 10 minutes.
3) Rinse as usual. Repeat it twice a week.
Using henna on your scalp can be a great way to reduce oil secretion as it has a drying effect on the scalp.
-Henna powder, depending on your hair length.
-Water to make a paste.
1) Mix the required quantity of henna powder with water.
2) Apply this mixture on to the scalp and let it dry for at least two hours.
3) Wash off with warm water.
Letting Your Hair Loose
Tying your hair too tight can also trigger the scalp into producing excess oil. Let your hair loose whenever possible.
This will also reduce the stress on your hair and prevent hairfall and greasiness.
Avoiding Too Much Oil In The Diet
It is very important to follow a healthy diet and reducing the consumption of oily food may help your scalp to reduce its oil secretion too.
Avoid Too Much Brushing
Too much brushing of your hair will trigger the oil glands to work up, resulting in excess oil production.
- Tips For Oily Haired Beauties: #1 - Do Not Wash Hair Every Day
- Easy & Effective Tricks To Treat Oily Scalp!
- Things That Make Your Scalp More Greasy!
- Is Your Hair Smelling Bad? It's Time You Treat This Issue Now!
- Hair Hacks That Will Make Your Life Easy!
- How To Style Unwashed, Greasy Hair
- 7 Best Home Remedies For Greasy Hair
- 7 Natural Ways To Stop Your Hair From Getting Oily
- How To Make Your Hair Smell Amazing All Day Long!
- Got Oily Hair? Then Try This Homemade Dry Shampoo
- Try This Homemade Hair Mask For Oily Hair Using Egg White And Salt
- Tips To Remove Oil From Hair
- Moisturizing Masks To Tackle Extremely Flaky Scalp