Why is this Hindu festival the holiest of the holy days in the calender? Lets take a look.
Reasons Why Akshaya Tritiya Is Auspicious:
1. The Beginning Of The Treta Yuga: The word 'tritiya' can be interpreted in two ways. Firstly, this Indian festival always comes on the third day of the Vaishakha month (according to the lunar calendar). Secondly, it is considered to be the day on which Treta Yuga began. Indians believe in Yugas or eras of which there are four; Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dwapara Yuga and Kali Yuga.
2. The Advent Of The Ganges: It is believed that Ganges started falling on the Earth from this day. The story goes that the Ganga descended on the earth to cleanse human beings of their sins on this day. Ganga or Ganges is the holiest river for Hindu rituals. In fact, Ganga is personified as a deity who used to reside in her heavenly abode.
3. Parashurama, The Axe Bearer: Lord
Parashurama has a unique position in Hindu mythology. There are
many stories about him, his heroic deeds and his violent temper.
Parashurama, the 6th avatar or incarnation of Vishnu was born on
4. Kubera, The Treasurer Of The Gods: Ever wondered why we buy gold on the day of this Indian festival? Obviously because it is considered auspicious to buy gold, silver or other precious things on this day to increase one's wealth. But the myth behind this Hindu ritual is that Lord Kubera, preaches the Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity, Lakshmi on this day.
5. The Day Tirthankara Broke His Fast: Akshaya Tritiya is also an important Jain festival and the story states, Adinath was the King of the prosperous kingdom of Ayodhya. When he received his spiritual call, he shed all his princely finery and took up the life of a monk. But as Jainism was a new religious order, people were not aware of what to offer their Monk-King when he asked for alms. Adinath fasted for many days until he was offered sugarcane juice by his own grandson. So, he became the first Tirthankara of the Jains on this day. So, in order to celebrate this day in Jainism people buy gold or silver.
Share your ideas on how auspicious is this day in your life and how you celebrate it?