There is always a doubt that why you have headache even after sleeping all day and feel that that it may be because the body needs even more rest.
But the most unbelievable fact is that that too much sleep is bad. Sleep headaches are common among homemakers, working professionals and even students. The headache will be more or less like alcohol hangover and doesn't get off that easily. Today, we will discuss more on sleep headaches and prevention. Take a look.
About Sleep Headaches
One of the reasons for occurance is due to the fluctuations in serotonin which mainly happen during sleep. Also the variation in the REM (rapid eye movement sleep) cycle is quoted as one of the reasons. The headache due to these are mostly cluster or migrane headaches.
Sleep Headache Causes:
1. Sleep Apnea: A condition during sleep. The breathing then becomes shallow or stops for a few seconds and can continue to minutes. The lower oxygen levels in the body can lead to head pain.
2. Depression: People generally in despair are the ones who sleep too much. A discouraged, sad and depressed mind is more prone to sleeping for very long as it finds peace during that time. The lowered physical activity and mood will lead to pain in the back, neck and head.
Treating Sleep Headaches:
1. A minimum of 8 hours sleep is enough for a person to stay active and healthy all day. Fixing a bed time will avoid oversleeping.
2. Avoid longer afternoon naps (2-3 hours). Do not drink caffeine, alcohol or spicy foods 4-6 hours before nap time.
3. Use a comfortable and clean mattress, pillow for undisturbed sleep. Do not use your bed to work on laptop or eat food (make an alternative).
4. Leave your worries away, listen to soothing music, do deep breathing or meditate for a couple of minutes before sleep.
Subscribe to Boldsky