We have compiled a few important benefits provided by corn:
1. Improves digestion- Corn is filled with fiber that are a huge boon for digestion. It prevents constipation, haemorrhoids and even lowers the risk of colon cancer considerably.
2. A power house of minerals- Those little yellow kernels contain more minerals than you can ever think of! Corn contains a large proportion of magnesium, iron, copper and most importantly phosphorus, which is needed for healthy bones. These nutrients not only prevents your bones from cracking as you grow older but also enhances the normal kidney functioning.
3. Skin Care- Corn is rich in antioxidants, which help in keeping the skin younger for longer. Apart from the regular consumption of corn, it can also be applied as Corn Oil which is a rich source of Linoleic acid. Corn starch is also useful to soothe skin irritations and rashes.
4. Prevents anemia- Anemia is a condition where the red blood cell count is reduced considerably due to the lack of iron. Thus, sweet corn benefits health as it is rich in vitamin B and folic acid that prevents anemia.
5. Controls cholesterol- Cholesterol is a substance that is produced by the liver. There are two types of cholesterol; good cholesterol (HDL) and bad cholesterol (LDL). Increase in the bad cholesterol due to the intake of fatty foods weakens your heart and can also lead to cardiovascular diseases. The vitamin C, carotenoids and bioflavinoids contained in sweet corn keep your heart healthy by controlling cholesterol levels and increasing the flow of blood in the body.
6. Essential during pregnancy- Pregnant women should make it a point to include some corn in their diet. Consumption of corn provides a rich source of folic acid. Make sure you clean it thoroughly and also consult your doctor in case you have high blood pressure, or have swollen hands and feet. The deficiency of folic acid in pregnant women affects the baby. Lack of folic acid in body affects the weight of the baby. Sweet corn benefits the health of both the expecting mother and baby. It prevents the new born from being underweight and saves from other defects.
So go ahead, use this cereal lavishly in your meals. It is rich in a variety of vitamins, minerals and more importantly fiber, that takes care of your body by lowering the risk of various diseases and supplying your body with nutrients required for a healthy living!