Hereditary diseases are those health problems that we inherit as a part of our lineage. Not all these diseases are strictly speaking genetic disorders. There is something in our genes that makes us predisposed to a particular disease. However, every hereditary disease is not a genetic disorder like Down's syndrome (caused due to non-disjunction of chromosomes).
Prevention is always better than cure and thus, knowing that we have a disease running in the family helps. You can alter your lifestyle in time to protect yourself from diseases. Some of these diseases are more commonly found than others. These are the top 5 hereditary diseases you need to watch out for.
Top 5 Hereditary Diseases:
1. Obesity: This is the mother of health problems. We are facing today and we mean it literally. Most diseases like heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain etc are related to obesity in some way or the other. Have you noticed that some of us tend to put on more weight than others in spite of eating less and working out more? This prompted scientists to research and prove that obesity is linked to the genes that help you store and process fats in some cases.
2. Diabetes: There is a lot of hue and cry in the scientific circles about diabetes, especially diabetes type 1 being a hereditary. Up to some extent, diabetes is seen running in families. Even if it is not an absolute one, having a diabetic parent increases your chances of developing it substantially. So, you must be extra cautious about lifestyle and eating habits if you wish to avoid diabetes at a later age.
3. Breast Cancer: Some kinds of cancer are hereditary. A minor mutation in the genes BRCA1 and BRCA2 makes you more prone to cancer. These genes are passed on from one generation to the next. Breast cancer is one of the cancers than can be inherited. If your mother, grandmother or aunts had breast cancer, then you need to have a regular self examination to detect it at the earlier stages. Remember, breast cancer in the early stages is totally curable.
4. Heart Diseases: Almost all types of heart diseases can be traced back to some or the other genetic disorder. The thickening of artery walls, congenital heat disorders etc are all passed on to off springs. So, if you have a family history of heart attacks or high blood pressure, make your lifestyle heart healthy today.
5. Osteoarthritis: This is a disease that happened due to eroded cartilage tissues in our joints. As we inherit our bone structure and joint movements from our parents, it is natural to consider this joint pain disorder as hereditary. Women, especially post their menopause, must be wary of this painful disease.
Have you inherited any such hereditary disease from your parents?