Saffron rice, in simple terms is rice cooked with saffron strands. Traditionally, Kesari bhat is sweet to taste and thus considered a sweet dish. However, with minor modifications, you can make Saffron rice a maincourse recipe. On Rakhi this recipe will make sure that you celebrate a sweet relation with your brother by eating sweet rice.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Onions- 2 (sliced
- Peas- 1 cu
- Carrot- 1 (chopped
- Basmati rice- 2 cup (200 grams
- Vegetable stock- 4 cup
- Saffron stard- 10 (soaked in water
- Ghee (clarified butter)- 2 tbs
- Salt- as per taste
1. Soak the saffron strands 10 to 15 minutes in water before you are going to use them. Being soaked for too long will take away the flavour.
2. Heat ghee in a deep bottomed pan. When it is warm enough (about 3 minutes on medium flame), add the onion slices to it.
3. Saute the onions till they soften and turn brown. Then add the peas and the carrots to it and saute for 2 minutes on low flame.
4. Add the rice and cook it with the vegetables for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
5. Then add the vegetable stock and stir the contents of the pan. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes on medium flame.
6. Pour the saffron and the water into the pan. Cover and cook for 15 to 17 minutes.
Serve saffron rice with any side dish of your choice. Paneer goes very well with this pulao. You can also make this rice recipe with a choice your vegetables.