Potato is one vegetable that can be used in a number of ways to make a variety of delicacies in the Indian cuisine. Be it main course or a side dish you will always find potato dishes on the dinning table. Benarasi Bharwan Aloo is a special delicacy from North India.
Benarasi bharwan aloo is a stuffed potato recipe. Cottage cheese mixed with a variety of Indian spices forms the stuffing of this stuffed aloo recipe. Benarasi bharwan aloo has an amazing taste and tempting look. It is used as a main course recipe. It has a creamy as well as a very spicy taste. You can try this main course recipe at home and can fetch appreciations from your friends and family.
Benarasi Bharwan Aloo
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Potato- 10-15 medium-sized
- Cottage cheese- ½ cup
- Fennel seeds- 1tsp
- Green chillies- 4 (chopped)
- Coriander leaves- 5tsp
- Raisin- 15 pieces (chopped)
- Cashew nuts- 10 pieces (chopped)
- Asafeotida- a pinch
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Ginger- 1tsp (grated)
- Tomato puree- 2 cups
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder- ½ tsp
- Tamarind pulp- 1 ½tsp
- Dry mango powder- ½ tsp
- Jaggery- ½ cup
- Fresh cream- 2tbsp
- Oil- 4tbsp
- Salt- to taste
1. In a bowl, peel potatoes and cut into halves.
2. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Now, deep fry the potato slices till they turn golden brown.
3. Now, using an absorbent paper drain excess amount of oil from potato slices. Keep the slices on a plate and leave it aside.
4. Now, scoop out the middle part of each half of the potato slices. Chop the scooped out portion. Add cottage cheese, coriander leaves, green chillies, raisins, cashew-nuts and salt.
5. Next, heat 2tbsp of oil in a separate pan. Add asafeotida, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ginger and saute it for about 2 minutes to make a fine paste .
6. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and half a cup of water to the paste. Cook the paste for about 4-5 minutes.
7. Once the paste starts leaving oil, add tamarind pulp, dry mango powder, grated jaggery and salt to the gravy. Stir it for about next 5 minutes.
8. Now add stuffed potato to the gravy. Cook on a low flame for another 5 minutes.
9. Add fresh cream and stir gently for 3-4 minutes. Now, garnish the benerasi bharwan aloo with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Benarasi bharwan aloo can be teamed up with hot rice and chappatis.