Having a laid back evening with family at home? Spice it up with Channa Usal, an excellent snacks recipe. In the festive season of the Ganapati festival, having a good time with family and friends is the best thing to celebrate. But Indian gatherings are incomplete without food. That is why, snacks like Channa Usal set the mood for a great evening of festivities. This typically Marathi recipe is loved by the 'Marathi Manoos'.
Channa Usal is not just a festive dish. It is a safe bet even
when you are having a casual get together at your place. Channa
Usal is a tangy Indian snacks and has a fair amount of zesty spices
in it. This snacks recipe doesn't really go out of season. The
extra bonus is that it is a really convinient Marathi recipe
becuase it can be made quickly.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Sprouted Chana or Grams- 50 grams
- Garlic pods- 4 (minced)
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Garam Masala- 1tsp
- Curry leaves- 5
- Lemon juice- 1tbsp
- Coconut- 1tbsp (grated)
- Coriander leaves- 2tbsp (chopped)
- Green chillies- 3
- Salt- as per taste
- Groundnut oil- 1tbsp
1. Boil the sprouted chana in a pressure cooker for the duration of 3 whistles. Strain away the water and store the chana in a bowl.
2. Grind, grated coconut, green chillies and coriander leaves.
3. Heat 1tbsp oil in a deep bottomed pan and saute the coconut paste in it for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add 2 cups of water to the pan and bring it to boil.
5. Add all the other ingredients, except cumin seeds and curry leaves into the boiling water.
6. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame.
7. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and season it with cumin seeds and curry leaves.
8. When the seeds pop, pour the seasoning with the extra oil into the deep bottomed pan that holds the chana usal.
Garnish with chopped raw onions. You can enjoy Chana Usal with pavs (bread) or have it plain.