Lobster Thermidor is basically the baked lobster meat blended with spices and cheese. It is by no means an easy seafood recipe to try at home simply because everyday you do not attempt a gourmet dish like Lobster Thermidor. So, when you try this delicious lobster recipe you need the right instructions.
You may have tried this dish only in fine dining restaurants. However, with our expert tips, you will be able to try this lobster recipe quite comfortably. The main element of this seafood recipe is to cook the lobster meat without damaging its shell. This can be done by cooking the lobster for the exact amount of time mentioned. The ingredients may be a little unfamiliar but we have provided Indian supplements in the lobster recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Lobster- 1 (400 to 500 grams)
- Lemon- 2 (cut into halves)
- Onions- 2 (cut into quarters)
- Bay leaves- 2
- Thyme- 2 spring
- Parsley or coriander leaves- 2 + 2 springs
- Flour- 1 cup
- Baby onions- 4 (chopped)
- White wine- 1 cup
- Milk- 1 cup
- Mustard paste- 1tbsp
- Parmesan cheese- 2 cubes (grated)
- Garlic pods- 4 (chopped)
- Pepper- 1tbsp
- Butter- 2tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
1. Boil a pot of water with salt, on the gas oven.
2. When it starts bubbling, tie bay leaves, thyme and parsley in a cloth and drop it into the pot.
3. Add quartered onions, halved lemons and the lobster into the pot and let it cook for 7 minutes on medium flame.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the over to 350 degrees.
5. After 7 minutes, drain away the water and place the lobster in iced water. This prevents any further cooking of the lobster meat.
6. Melt butter in a shallow pan. When it steams add garlic and flour to it. Cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
7. Add some more butter if necessary and saute the baby onions with it. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Add milk and white wine to the pan. Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes while sauce thickens.
9. Once the sauce gets a creamy consistency, remove it from flame. Mix it with mustard paste and half of the grated cheese.
10. Season it with salt and pepper. Mix it well.
11. Now bring out the boiled lobster and crack it open with the help of pincers.
12. Gently crack the claws and body of the boiled crab. Remove all the meat and chop it.
13. Mix the meat with the sauce you prepared and distribute it evenly in the two halves of the shell.
14. Season it again with pepper and remaining cheese.
15. Put it in a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes on 60 per cent power in the micro-oven.
Garnish with parsley/coriander leaves and serve the lobster thermidor fresh from the oven.