Kolambi Bhat is a very easy delicacy made out of rice and prawns. As the name, Kolmabi Bhat suggests, it is a Maharastrian recipe. This Indian rice recipe hails from the Konkan coasts of Maharashtra and Goa. Being a coastal recipe, Kolambi Bhat uses fresh coconut milk in abundance. The rice and prawns are cooked together like Khichdi (dal and rice porridge). The only difference here is that prawns are cooked with rice instead of dal.
In the original Maharashtrian recipe, raw prawns are cooked
directly with the masala and rice. But, if you are trying it for
the first time, the smell might be a bit too overwhelming for you.
Blanche the prawns in oil lightly before steaming it with
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Green chillies- 4 (slit)
- Garlic pods- 4 (minced)
- Onions- 2 (chopped)
- Tomatoes- 2 (chopped)
- Tiger prawns- 15 (shelled and de-veined)
- Basmati rice- 2 cups
- Red chilli powder- 2tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Coriander/cilantro leaves- 2tbsp (chopped)
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
1. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and season it with garlic and green chillies. Let the oil be moderately hot or else it will burn the garlic and destroy its flavour.
2. Add onions to it and cook till they turn golden brown.
3. Then add the tomatoes, sprinkle salt and cook on high flame until the tomatoes melt.
4. Add the prawns to the pan and season it with turmeric, red chilli and coriander powder. Let it cook with the spices for 5 minutes on low flame.
5. Now add the rice and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves from the top. Mix it well and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
6. Pour coconut milk over the half cooked rice and let it cook for 2 minutes on low flame. Keep stirring so that the coconut milk mixes evenly.
7. Finally add a bit of ghee, garam masala and 2 cups of water. Cover wit a lid and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
8. Keep stirring the kolambi bhat so that it cooks uniformly and doesn't form lumps.
The Kolambi bhat is ready. Serve it hot with curd or raita.