A basic meatloaf is a the most obvious recipe for an American kitchen. Cooking meatloaf needs hardly any special skills and to top it all it is quick; that makes it a great lunch box recipes. A basic meatloaf is also dry and compact increasing its aptness as a lunch box recipe.
Being an all American recipe it is not exactly low on calories. You should ideally mix 3 kinds of red meat (beef, veal and mutton) in it but you can bring down the calorie count by using only one kind of meat. In the case of this easy meatloaf recipe it is lamb or mutton. Another way to make this American recipe healthy is to use brown or whole grain bread instead of white bread. As it will be absolutely filling and nutritious if you throw in a some vegetables, you can try as a lunch box recipe for kids as well.
Ingredients For Basic Meatloaf:
1. Ground lamb or mutton kheema 500 grams
2. Brown bread 2 slices
3. Skimmed milk 2 tablespoons
4. Egg whites 2
5. Onion 1 (chopped)
6. Tomato puree 4 tablespoons
7. Parsley or coriander leaves 2 tablespoons (chopped)
8. Mint leaves 3-4 (chopped)
9. Basil leaves 3-4 (chopped)
10. Mustard paste 1 tablespoon
11. Ground pepper 1 teaspoon
12. salt as per taste
13. Butter 1 tablespoon
Procedure For Basic Meatloaf:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mince the bread crumbs in a blender until gives fine bread crumbs. Beat the eggs with milk and pour into the bread crumbs.
- Mix the meat with all the ingredients leaving aside half of the tomato puree for later use. Mix the meat with the breadcrumbs and milk and let it marinate for 10 minutes to get set.
- Form the meat mixture into the shape of a long bread loaf with your hands. Brush it with molten butter and then apply a layer of tomato puree.
- Place it on a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. It needs equal amount of standing time.
You can pack portions of this basic meatloaf with coleslaw. It already contains bread so no need for more.