Chicken Satay is something you order in restaurants but you can easily replicate it at home as your weekend special. This recipe tells you how to make Thai style satay. Some of the spices you need for this grilled chicken recipe are exotic. We have mentioned replacements, in case you have difficulty finding the original ingredients for this Thai recipe.
Chicken satay is cooked by barbecuing blanched chicken and vegetables over a grill. You can also make the Thai satay in the microwave. The sauce you pour over the Thai satay has be prepared on the gas oven in a pan.
Ingredients For Marinade:
- Peanut butter- 2tbsp
- Lemon juice- 2tbsp
- Lime leaves or any citrus fruit leaves- 2-4
- Mint twigs- 3-4
- Lemon grass- 1 stick
- Pepper powder- 1tbsp
- Garlic (minced)- 1tbsp
- Green chillies- 2 (minced)
- Galangal (blue ginger; you can use ginger instead)- 2 inches
- Thai red curry paste (or red chilli paste)- 1tbsp
- Milk powder- 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste
Ingredients For Chicken Satay:
- Boneless chicken cubes 8 (blanched)
- Mushroom 4
- Onion 1 (cubed)
- Green bell pepper (capsicum)- 1 (cubed)
- Tomato- 1 (diced and cubed)
- Olive oil- 2tbsp
- Satay sticks- 4
Procedure For Chicken Satay:
1. Grind all the ingredients of the marinade in a blender. It will become a thick, smooth paste.
2. Marinate the chicken and vegetables with the paste. Leave it aside for half an hour.
3. Stick the chicken and vegetables into the satay sticks in the order your wish.
4. Drizzle olive oil on them and stick them into the microwave grill or normal grill.
5. In the microwave oven, you need to grill the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes with 80 per cent power. A charcoal grill will cook faster.
6. A satay must never be over cooked. The chicken needs to be sumptuously browned but juicy.
7. While the satay cooks, heat oil in a pan over the gas. Pour the leftover marinade into this and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the sauce thicken.
8. You can add some extra peanut butter at this stage.
9. Remove the satay sticks from the oven and pour the hot sauce over it.
Your Chicken satay is ready to serve.